#1 terry vacani

terry vacani

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

i am looking for pictures of a ww2 1940s wooden battery box for my arri 1 nr 197x from i think 1944 or more info on this model .thanks terry vacani

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

i am looking for pictures of a ww2 1940s wooden battery box for my arri 1 nr 197x from i think 1944 or more info on this model .thanks terry vacani

Can't help with the battery box, but given your serial number, it's a very good bet that it was made in the first half of 1944. Serial numbers started with 500 in 1938, and production of the model I ended abruptly due to a bombing raid on July 13, 1944. Model II serial numbers were arbitrarily re-started at 2000. Yours is the highest model I number I've heard of yet. I have two, 1420 and 1578.

It sounds like your camera is in great shape, given that you're looking for an authentic battery. Can you post pictures of it?

Thanks --

-- J.S.

Edit to add: Michael Lehnert has some more info on early Arri's in this thread, post #66:

http://www.cinematog...mp;#entry217493

#3 terry vacani

terry vacani

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

Can't help with the battery box, but given your serial number, it's a very good bet that it was made in the first half of 1944. Serial numbers started with 500 in 1938, and production of the model I ended abruptly due to a bombing raid on July 13, 1944. Model II serial numbers were arbitrarily re-started at 2000. Yours is the highest model I number I've heard of yet. I have two, 1420 and 1578.

It sounds like your camera is in great shape, given that you're looking for an authentic battery. Can you post pictures of it?

Thanks --

-- J.S.

Edit to add: Michael Lehnert has some more info on early Arri's in this thread, post #66:

#4 terry vacani

terry vacani

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

Thanks --

-- J.S.

thanks john for info i got my arriflex in france 2 weeks ago i live in the uk, i have a friend in usa he has a arriflex nr1239 with zeiss lens with nunbers from 1941.my email is tvacani@aol.com if you email me i will send you pics ,not shore how to post them ,and perhap arri has all info and originel customer info?

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

thanks john for info i got my arriflex in france 2 weeks ago i live in the uk, i have a friend in usa he has a arriflex nr1239 with zeiss lens with nunbers from 1941.my email is tvacani@aol.com if you email me i will send you pics ,not shore how to post them ,and perhap arri has all info and originel customer info?

Thanks for the info regarding the dating of #1239. I'll send you an e-mail.

Alas, Arri has no info regarding the Model I. I first saw a Model I at the Tech Camera auction in the 1980's, it was, IIRC, #1483 or 1485. I asked about it, Bill Russell at Arri Burbank told me that any serial number under 2000 was a Model I, and that all the spare parts and documentation on the Model I was destroyed by the bombing raid in 1944. The post-war Model II was reverse engineered from surviving cameras, but the critical dimensions could differ. I don't know if the Germans used some system of purchase orders that may have left a paper trail elsewhere, or how to get access to such documents.

-- J.S.

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post