Michael Sandoval

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

I was recently asked to shoot a documentary in multiple locations in the Europe, Africa, and the U.S., following a very prominent Spanish painter as he exhibits in some major galleries. I suggested to the producer that it would be much more cost effective to purchase the HVX/glidecam/dolly set up we need, and he asked me to come up with a budget.

If I was back in NYC this would be a snap. However, over here in Madrid I have no idea where is the best place to buy/price out equipment (basics: camera, portable light kit, tripod; mic and mixer and boom). I could always have B & H ship, but maybe there's a comparable store out here. I've never shot in Europe, before, and would appreciate any help in this matter.

This actually sounds like a pretty basic question, but my search on this forum ("Equipment - Europe - store" that kind of thing) didn't produce any results. Thanks any and all!

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

Have BH ship.

#3 Michael Sandoval

Michael Sandoval

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

You think? I'd be surprised that there's no comparable outfit out here. Though to state the obvious, B & H is a pretty unique place. Gotta hand it to them. And of course in NYC I live about 20 minutes away from the store, vs. where I am now, 3,000 miles away! Thanks for your opinion--though don't know if B & H could make the producer's deadline--wants to shoot first or second week of March.

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

It might help if you explain in more detail what they sell. Otherwise, it's a bit like me asking someone in Times Square, 'Where can I buy the sort of stuff I get at Majestic?' I know it's a wine warehouse, but the folks in New York may not.
Off the top of my head, Stanley Productions, PEC or Calumet in London might cover it.

#5 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

If your dollar is better where you are then American is the way to go. Do it now before they make the American dollar where it was, which will start to happen next year.

#6 Arturo Querzoli

Arturo Querzoli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

Spain is really a strange market for this kind of equipment... If you are in Barcelona, I'd go to Nivel10, (http://www.nivell10.com/) close to Plaza Catalunya. Or else, if you're looking into buying panasonic stuff, check Salvador Serra (http://www.salvadorserra.com/), since they "represent" Panasonic in Barcelona... But don't even try to compare any european store with BH! If you're in Madrid, call those places to see if they have any known store in Madrid.. Good luck! You'll miss the flying merchandise for sure...

#7 Michael Sandoval

Michael Sandoval

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

Great! I just priced out what it would cost to ship the stuff we're getting from B&H to Spain--about 500 Euros, or about $750, give or take. What we're getting:

HVX Pal
2 batteries
carrying case
glidecam x-10
Manfrotto w/fluid head
Tripod wheels
Sennheiser wireless kit w/ 2 lavaliers

We're going to go and check out the Madrid store(s) this week. (and I do miss the flying merchandise).

It's going to be interesting shooting in the desert. Going to trek down to Petra to get some shots. Producer wants to also shoot in Syria, but I have to double-check visa issues for U.S. travelers.

In fact, I should do a quick post about issues shooting with the HVX under desert conditions. A few years ago I had to organize a camera training with an MPAD (military public affairs) National Guard unit being sent to Iraq. We recommended the PD-170, which held up supremely well for them.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Visual Products

The Slider

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Opal

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies