No replies to this topic

#1 Lavern Templeton

Lavern Templeton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

In wake of Sundance '08 I've read a few articles mentioning the prevalence of A-list stars/directors (and recognizable actors) becoming crucial to the development of indie projects. Sundance this year featured films with no less than John Malkovich, Charlize Theron and others. Some have purported that this is a trend that demands independents to seek "brand recognition" to have their projects pushed through.
However, I feel that in light of internet resources and other outlets, non-studio productions can still reach a wide audience and even find ways to generate a profit. Much in the way the music industry is being redefined by talented artists not affiliated with a record label still finding their markets, one has to assume some of these ideas will crossover to film and television.
This is not to say that the star system will be obsolete any time soon. I am only suggesting that it is quite conceivable that we may begin to see new talent that may not ever reach the silver screen through wide distribution, yet still operate within a comfortable niche, which may redefine the notion of "brands" in the entertainment industry.

(And the strike ended)

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Abel Cine