#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

How has the 64T faired since its reception? Many in the beginning felt it very grainy. Since then it appears the grain size has shrunk. Is this due to better processing or better film?

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Is this due to better processing or better film?

My bet would be on labs gaining more fine-tuned experience in processing.

Interesting timing of your post, John:
I recently heard an utterly euphoric review of shooting E-64 with the Bauer S 715 XL microcomputer; with the Angénieux 15x6mm's coating being apparently "ideal mates" for this film stock. That shoot also purposely ignored any pondering about compensating for the cartridge notch issue posed in Bauer cameras: just using it as if it were K-40.
I won't see the reel 'til March, but based on previously-seen 8, 16 and 35-shot results, I take those comments sans questions (having personally been rather reserved about E-64 in the past).

#3 Richard Baines

Richard Baines

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Most people don't seem to but I like it - the extra speed really helps when shooting inside compared to Kodachrome 40. The grain can be tightened if you play around with exposure a bit, and the colours look great. I'm waiting for a pair of rolls I sent to Nanolab to come back, which I shot in low light and exposed at 160 asa for push processing, hopefully this will confirm that Ektachrome 64T is versatile enough to use under low light conditions too.

#4 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

think it has improved, though once you project a k25/k40 after 64t, then the difference really hits you. I hated 64t upon its release. Finer tuning by Andec on the processing has helped. Also found the stock looks better on certain lenses. The 6-80 on my beaulieu gives superb looking 64t images, colour/contrast/sharpness. 64t dont look so good thru a canon 814xls or 6-70 schneider glass (imo). Filmed a couple of weddings and a christening on 64t, as long as the subject is kept big, and not too much sky, results are ok, shadow detail, and shaded areas along with skin tones look great on 64t. Its ashame kodak did not release e64D, as the grain would of been tighter. Is it me, or is 64t sharper than 100d?? 64t appears to have the edge, especially on distant subjects.
Well, i still shoot DS-8 k25 and k40, as for home movies gone back to standard 8 as k40 is plentifull.

#5 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

well it doesnt really matter what anybody thinks cause for the most part its all we have, right?

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC