Photo

How do you determine the latitude of a stock?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doron Kipper

Doron Kipper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:39 AM

I'm a student shooting my first ever film project. I'm using Kodak 7250 Color Reversal...how do I determine the latitude? For that matter, how do I determine the latitude of any stock?

Say that I use my meter and put it to someone's face...it read F5.6....so I set my lens to 5.6

I have wall that reads F 11, the sky outside reading F22, and a corner of the room reading F2.8

How will each show up on color reversal? And say I'm using Kodak Vision2 500T...how would these objects react differently if I used that negative stock?

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

You have very little latitude you have to get your highlight exposure spot on really, reversal stock doesnt like being over exposed .What you have said about the huge range of exposure in the room? will be awful with reversal you need to balance that means lighting to bring things within the latitude of the stock . If you shot with the neg stock loads more forgiving but still need some lighting to balance . hope that helps.

#3 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

I'm a student shooting my first ever film project. I'm using Kodak 7250 Color Reversal...how do I determine the latitude? For that matter, how do I determine the latitude of any stock?

Say that I use my meter and put it to someone's face...it read F5.6....so I set my lens to 5.6

I have wall that reads F 11, the sky outside reading F22, and a corner of the room reading F2.8

How will each show up on color reversal? And say I'm using Kodak Vision2 500T...how would these objects react differently if I used that negative stock?

As John say you have a little latitude...You can find valuable information at kodak website, i guess you have around 1 1/2 stop over and 2 under... Take a look to the sensitometric curve(5285). Reversal films react different to color negative film...

Attached Images

• 85sensi.gif

#4 Doron Kipper

Doron Kipper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

As John say you have a little latitude...You can find valuable information at kodak website, i guess you have around 1 1/2 stop over and 2 under... Take a look to the sensitometric curve(5285). Reversal films react different to color negative film...

I had no idea that another name for the latitude measurments was a Sensitometric Curve...that's very helpful. I'm not sure if I'm reading the chart right though...Since the density is higher as you have less light...does that mean colors are richer or more saturated in the shadows than in the highlights?

#5 Doron Kipper

Doron Kipper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

You have very little latitude you have to get your highlight exposure spot on really, reversal stock doesnt like being over exposed .What you have said about the huge range of exposure in the room? will be awful with reversal you need to balance that means lighting to bring things within the latitude of the stock . If you shot with the neg stock loads more forgiving but still need some lighting to balance . hope that helps.

The room I measured was not from an actual room...it was in the hypothetical situation. I'm just trying to get a better idea of the relationship between what I read on my meter, and what will actually show up on the film. Like, would the wall reading F11 be totally blown out, or would there still be some detail? and would the F2.8 object be lost in darkness, or would there be little or a lot of detail. How do I determine this?

#6 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

If you want to know about sensitometric curve here's a link, sometimes it's hard to understand, but when you become familiar you can see the "Matrix" jajaja :lol:

http://web.mac.com/a...nsitometry.html

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam