Sterling Silva
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director
  • Studio City

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hey all.
I just want to say that I read a lot here on these forums and I think as a film making community this place is tops. That being said I'd really like some strong criticism on this film I did.

It's kinda a mystery and I hope you all will like it, and if you don't I'd really love to hear why!

-Sterling

THE RECORDER

#2 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hey all.
I just want to say that I read a lot here on these forums and I think as a film making community this place is tops. That being said I'd really like some strong criticism on this film I did.

It's kinda a mystery and I hope you all will like it, and if you don't I'd really love to hear why!

-Sterling

THE RECORDER

Hi, I liked the beginning - there was a sense of the story being really open - and the acting where one chap sneaks up behind him, is quite naturalistic. I think that level is not reached again. The idea of them finding the tape recorder of the future I liked, but it could have been even more kooky - if you pushed the idea further perhaps - it could have been a really strange little self referential loop like they've entered a wormhole in the woods thats sucked them into xanadu. (Actually this happened to me last week)

The camerawork - i am no expert, but perhaps you could introduce handheld shots in a bit earlier, specially when the guy does scare the other, the way they stood seemed quite formal combined with the tripod safeness. I like the revolving shot in the woods...perhaps the ending could have been punchier?/ not sure about them walking - backing off like that...apart from that the idea I liked, could be a springboard for other ideas thats for sure - food for thought and all,

ok thanks for listening to me, r

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies