4 replies to this topic

#1 michael rand

michael rand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

I'm doing an outside interview (morning, or late afternoon). The subject will be totally in shade but the buildings (reflective!) will be in direct sun. (also subject has olive skin)

I was planning on shooting two 1.2k Arri HMIs thru a 4X4 frame. My question is in regards to the best gel choice.

Wind will be an issue so I was thinking something like an opal but quieter. Also, I'm trying to finding the balance between very thin diffusion yet dont want to see "2 suns". I need some good punch considering the situation. Lastly, this will be shot on a balcony 20 stories up so anything more than a 4X4 is going to be tough....guessing 6 stops difference between subject and buildings

my possibilities so far:
half soft frost
cosmetic highlight (I tend to think this would have a nice warming effect on olive skin)
1/8 white diffusion (too thin?)
or should I go with something a little heavier like quiet light grid cloth

wish it was film but it is DV

thoughts?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

If you are worried about wind how about a simple old china silk (lighter than synthetic) or a light gridcloth?

As for color, I would probably choose something like 1/4 or 1/2 CTS or a pale bastard amber.

#3 michael rand

michael rand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

thanks chris, so just curious...why the straw color over 1/4 or 1/2 CTO. Something about that with olive skin?

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

You might think about the fact that if you do shoot early morning / late afternoon you'll be in the magic hour and the sunlight will be quite warm. I've measured magic hour sun in the 3000K range. You might have to go to full CTO on the HMI if you don't want much color contrast between your lit subject and the natural sunlight. I'd bring a color meter and a collection of 1/4, 1/2, full CTO to play with.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

thanks chris, so just curious...why the straw color over 1/4 or 1/2 CTO. Something about that with olive skin?

I just like the little bit of golden yellow added, really. It looks quite nice with pretty much every skintone.

Hal has a good point. I was talking gel in addition to what it takes to match the outdoors.

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Opal