#1 oliver latty

oliver latty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

hello, i'm a student and am shooting my film on aaton 7 16mm 200/24 filmstock. i'm shooting in a studio where i've built a completely white set. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what gels to use, i was thinking of using blue gels to simulate daylight to get away from the whole artificial light that can resonate a bit of orange (i'm using arri 650's and 800's). also i want to make the film gradually darker, i was thinking of just changing the exposure as the film progresses. any suggestions would be great. thanks

#2 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

As far as making the film darker is concerned, closing down the aperture is only going to cut down the amount of light coming into the camera, thus underexposing your image, which means everything gets darker (including skin tones), and your image will get progressively grainier because only the larger grains get exposed when you underexpose an image. A better alternative if you are keeping the same lighting setup throughout the film would be to put the lights on dimmers and dial them down as the film progresses. Just keep in mind that the color temperature of your lights will change as you dim them, so you'll need to shoot a gray card before each shot to maintain the same color balance.

Tai Audio

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks