Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

Recent work from Mikkel Zall (www.blacklight.dk).
Super 8 Tri-X low light commercial spec spot.

Nice poetic short.

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Um, ok, are your prices in US$ or Canadian $? I am not pleased with the last transfer I had (not with you), and am looking for options.

#3 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

Hey Nate,

Prices are in CDN $.

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your last transfer somewhere else. Did you contact that transfer house and explain the situation to them? Any good lab should be happy to hear feedback, whether good or bad to keep improving their results.

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

I think I've seen this cat before on video, but this clip is amazing hell yes! The color shots looked pretty cool too especially the "helicopter" in the leaves. Looked like 64T with straight 85 and looked great. Was that an in camera speed ramp? It looked too smooth for a velocity envelope.

#5 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words :)

I think you're referring to TROYMOTION.
When Troy was doing the windmill in the leaves, that was 200T 7217 super 8.

All ramps were doing in camera. Did some tweaking with the gamma keyframes in post to smooth out the exposure shift on some of the ramps. (could have spent a little more time on it, but was under a tight deadline).

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

#6 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Cut it down to two minutes with more melodic edits. Way too long. I got board at about 1/3 through.

#7 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hey Nate,

Prices are in CDN $.

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your last transfer somewhere else. Did you contact that transfer house and explain the situation to them? Any good lab should be happy to hear feedback, whether good or bad to keep improving their results.

The issue became because it was a telecine vs a frame scan. The telecine was good for what I needed it for, an edit guide, but now I need a better scan for final output.

#8 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Cut it down to two minutes with more melodic edits. Way too long. I got board at about 1/3 through.

Sorry you got bored Walter. Which film were you referring to? What is it that bored you? If you can make a comment like that, I'd like to see you back it up with some _constructive ideas_. (not to be argumentative, just would like to know more about your opinion).

#9 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

Sorry you got bored Walter. Which film were you referring to? What is it that bored you? If you can make a comment like that, I'd like to see you back it up with some _constructive ideas_. (not to be argumentative, just would like to know more about your opinion).

The one with the guy doing the dancing, jumping, etc. I thought it went on too long. I would have liked to see more of the best of it, than what seemed to me like as much of the footage as could be found. I also thought the edit of the piece could have been worked a bit more to timing. It did not seem to have a visual flow like it could have.

#10 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

Interesting.
That was cut down from a ton of other footage that we shot. I think there is a good flow to the piece.. but I guess everyone can have their own opinion.

It was paced out with candid shots to break up the flow of it all being move after move after move.
The flow is more similar to that of a newer snowboard video- having candids- to show the performers character rather than just repetitive 'blow-up' moves which can only awe an audience for so long until they become boring.

The film ends rather abruptly. The original screening was intended for a festival where we run into the theatre from the back do a couple stunts, then run out. (the original cut ended when he enters the building at the end).

You may also notice that the shots of him dancing infront of the 'archives' sign are all soft. Also some of the shots where he flips off the benches and does the running wall flip are soft too. This is because of the video wide angle adapter lens we used.. it was not sharp at all! The rest was shot with the angenieux 8-64 zoom. It performs very well. You can see the difference in the shot where he rolls over the car, it is much sharper than the shots before it. (web compression doesn't do it much justice).

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport