Canon 514 XL-S Maintenance Question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Martin (TX)

Aaron Martin (TX)
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a Canon 514 XL-S off eBay. I took a chance on a poorly described auction, and my camera arrived today. The camera is in better shape than I ever could have thought -- clean glass, good cosmetic condition, clean battery compartment, exposure meter works. There is one exception: The motor hesitates when you hit the trigger to begin shooting. If you give the little spindle inside the film compartment a light push with your finger the motor runs strong and steady for as long as the trigger is depressed. It will run again if you release the trigger and then depress the trigger again, as long as you don't wait any more than 30 seconds.

I'm wondering what could cause this issue -- Lubrication? Bad drive belt? Could it just be age? The camera doesn't seem to have been out of it's case in years. Could sitting unused for an extended period of time have caused the motor issue?

I've owned a 514 XL-S before and I know how great these cameras can be. I specifically purchased this one to use with a small anamorphic adaptor I bought, so the faster I can start shooting with this thing, the better. Any help is appreciated and I'm happy to provide more information about the camera.

Thanks,

Aaron

Abel Cine

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape