Justin Ferar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer
  • Larkspur, CA

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Anyone here seen a super 8 HD telecine yet? I shoot 720p (JVC HD200) and have been mixing in my super 8 dv transfers in the timeline at 720p. My broadcast HD monitor shows how glaringly uprezzed the footage is.

Would be tickled pink if anyone posted a 720p sample in H.264!

#2 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:06 AM

I tried doing this with my hvx in two ways, one is to record the super 8 footage projected through a Elmo 180 onto a projector screen and the other is using my redrock m2 and project the image onto the ground glass (with a piece of paper in front of the lamp to decrease light intensity). Both ways the footage recorded with weird motion blurs. I don't have proper super 8 telecine to compare with, but its probably usable for viewing, but for me it did not meet my quality standards. I shot the project on B&W reversal just to see if I can do my own HD telecine.

When recording the projected image from the projector, a lot of the highlights seemed "blown out" and it took away from the latitude of the film.

It wasn't so bad when projecting onto the ground glass of the M2, but still got the weird double motion blurs.

Either way, its good to experiment with your tools and see if the new and old can be combined. I plan to post the finished project online by the beginning on March. Its called "Good 'Ol Roy"

-pete

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

Anyone here seen a super 8 HD telecine yet? I shoot 720p (JVC HD200) and have been mixing in my super 8 dv transfers in the timeline at 720p. My broadcast HD monitor shows how glaringly uprezzed the footage is.

Would be tickled pink if anyone posted a 720p sample in H.264!

Ask Flying Spot Film Transfer if they can send you a clip. They do have a demo on their website.

chris
:rolleyes:

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Opal

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post