Bryce Stroud

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Brisbane

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:03 AM

hi, im a film student currently completing a cert 3 in broadcasting and television and an additional assignment is to produce a 8min max horror. camera gear at disposals HDV-V1, HDV-Z1, HDV-A1 and sony BRC (for crane cam). also school just bought a tiffen steadicam pilot. just wondering any reccomened/standard settings/gear for horror (ie. 25p progressive scan, 1080i, specific white balance or lighting to use).
doesnt matter how large the video is, using adobe master suite for editing and a decent pc

any suggestions for gear/settings/lighting would be awesome :)

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

HI Bryce,

Settings on a camera will not give you a horror look nor will it give you action look etc....
The look is achieved through your creativity in lighting, colours, angles and movement.
My advice is focus on those.

Cheers
S

#3 Bryce Stroud

Bryce Stroud

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Brisbane

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

HI Bryce,

Settings on a camera will not give you a horror look nor will it give you action look etc....
The look is achieved through your creativity in lighting, colours, angles and movement.
My advice is focus on those.

Cheers
S

cheers, i think i slightly got confused in terms of colour grading wheni meant horror look.
just wondering if theres any set settings for night shooting, or if its all personal preference (ie. with whitebalance, exposure,etc)

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

White balance normal and use lighting and color to do what you need. Expose normal and use lighting to do what you need to make things bright and dark. As for camera, any of the cameras you mention will work fine. You've asked a very difficult question as it is very broad. If you said how do I get a certain look, I think you would get more secific answers. Your question is the equivlent of asking someone how can I lead a better life. So perhaps you can tell us about looks you want to achive, or overall look. That would help with better answers.

#5 Bryce Stroud

Bryce Stroud

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Brisbane

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

White balance normal and use lighting and color to do what you need. Expose normal and use lighting to do what you need to make things bright and dark. As for camera, any of the cameras you mention will work fine. You've asked a very difficult question as it is very broad. If you said how do I get a certain look, I think you would get more secific answers. Your question is the equivlent of asking someone how can I lead a better life. So perhaps you can tell us about looks you want to achive, or overall look. That would help with better answers.

thanks heaps, soz, bit new to this...
the main look i wish to get in the horror is a focus on when the character is 'going insane' ie. like a dream sequence deep/defined shadows

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products