#1 Peter Friedlander

Peter Friedlander

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

I have been hired to video document a missions trip with my Church in July using their DVX100 camera. I am conserned about the high humid and rainy conditions there and the conflict it would have on my equiptment. We will be travling for 9 days up and down the amazon river in brizil on a 3 story boat with 30 other passengers.

I am taking only the bare camera nassesities for this trip, the DVX, power charger, two ten hour batteries and about 20 or so MINI-DV tapes.

What sort of protection should I get for the DVX for rain covers and humidity?

Where should I look for a portable light-weight caring case and how should I pack equiptment when travling?
Cost is not an option.

Thanks!!
-Peter

#2 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

I have been hired to video document a missions trip with my Church in July using their DVX100 camera. I am conserned about the high humid and rainy conditions there and the conflict it would have on my equiptment. We will be travling for 9 days up and down the amazon river in brizil on a 3 story boat with 30 other passengers.

I am taking only the bare camera nassesities for this trip, the DVX, power charger, two ten hour batteries and about 20 or so MINI-DV tapes.

What sort of protection should I get for the DVX for rain covers and humidity?

Where should I look for a portable light-weight caring case and how should I pack equiptment when travling?
Cost is not an option.

Thanks!!
-Peter

Perhaps this help

http://www.cinematog...n...&hl=ecuador

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

I'd go for a DV backpack which you can find from brands like Cinebags, among others.

And you'll probably want to carry more than just 2 batteries.

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

I can't speak fomr personal experience, but I can tell you that my friend has gone down three summers in a row with his DVX spending weeks in the jungle and hasn't had an issue. Most issues of temperature and humidity have more to do with rapid changes than ordinary use. In other words, if you have your camera in the jungle and are using it you are fine. If you suddenly go into an airconditioned room, the camera can form condensation. Same with temp. I have used all sorts of video cameras in every temp from -40 to 150+ and haven't ever had an issue. I wouldn't think to hard. And yea backpack is good. And of course enough batts.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

I would definitely take more batteries than you think you'll ever need. What if one won't charge right? You drop one in the river?

I wouldn't worry too much about the camera, I haven't been able to kill a DVX and, with the conditions I've used one in, you would think I've tried. :lol:

#6 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

I would definitely take more batteries than you think you'll ever need. What if one won't charge right? You drop one in the river?

I wouldn't worry too much about the camera, I haven't been able to kill a DVX and, with the conditions I've used one in, you would think I've tried. :lol:

I'd second Chris's advice. One of my DVX batteries just stopped working recently, and heat tends to sap them faster than normal, so having more than enough is always a good idea. Keep us posted on how the trip goes, though. I'd be curious to see how it turns out. A couple years ago my church was going to send me to India to shoot a documentary on some kids in an orphanage that we have a connection with over there, and the trip got cancelled at the last minute because of the 8-train bombing they had in Mumbai the week before I was supposed to leave. I still want to do it eventually, but in the meantime, it'll be good to hear how the DVX does with heat, humidity, etc, on your project. Have fun!

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc