Richard Ladkani

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Munich, Germany

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

I have seen this kind of shot before but never so often as in the BBCs Planet Earth.
The camera pans across a wideshot of a gran scenery in Scotland and the seasons change from snow to spring to summer to fall in 40seconds. They do it again and again on different locations I want to know what technique hey used. I am guessing a 35mm still camera or a D2 digital on a rotating base plate attached to a computer or something. But I would like to know it excatly if anybody knows.
Best
Richard
www.richardladkani.com

Edited by Richard Ladkani, 25 February 2008 - 02:20 AM.

#2 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

I have seen this kind of shot before but never so often as in the BBCs Planet Earth.
The camera pans across a wideshot of a gran scenery in Scotland and the seasons change from snow to spring to summer to fall in 40seconds. They do it again and again on different locations I want to know what technique hey used. I am guessing a 35mm still camera or a D2 digital on a rotating base plate attached to a computer or something. But I would like to know it excatly if anybody knows.
Best
Richard
www.richardladkani.com

On the T/L MoCon sequences I shot for Planet Earth we used a 35mm Arri and a MoSys rig. I know of at least 2 other DPs who also used this gear for PE. http://www.cartoni.c...OSYS_LAMBDA.pdf

#3 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Best
Richard
www.richardladkani.com

I may be mistaken but i believe they hired the Mo-Sys rig from Kontrol Freax

I remember (I think) Steve Scammel of Kontrol Freax saying they left the track down and returned to them periodicaly, for the multiple pases.

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

I'm currently in the market for a cheap moco system for my DLSR, to shoot 2- or 3-axis timelapses, with dolly-pan or dolly-pan-tilt. A lot of these systems seems like overkill my modest needs, though. I don't really need repeatability, I just need the camera to move between long-duration night exposures. Any recommendations?

#5 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

On the T/L MoCon sequences I shot for Planet Earth we used a 35mm Arri and a MoSys rig. I know of at least 2 other DPs who also used this gear for PE. http://www.cartoni.c...OSYS_LAMBDA.pdf

That's a nice rig!

S

#6 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

That's a nice rig!

S

Its very small and light-weight too, plus its extremly easy to use. The movements can be operated manually and the computer will record it for playback like a VCR, as well Key-frames and virtual maping too.

It does of course have its limitations too.

#7 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

I may be mistaken but i believe they hired the Mo-Sys rig from Kontrol Freax

I remember (I think) Steve Scammel of Kontrol Freax saying they left the track down and returned to them periodicaly, for the multiple pases.

Steve Scammel was the chap - thanks for posting his details. His kit was top notch, easy to use and set up. I reccommend him highly - he was good fun to work with.

cheers,

#8 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

I'm currently in the market for a cheap moco system for my DLSR, to shoot 2- or 3-axis timelapses, with dolly-pan or dolly-pan-tilt. A lot of these systems seems like overkill my modest needs, though. I don't really need repeatability, I just need the camera to move between long-duration night exposures. Any recommendations?

The problem when going lighter is one of backlash. I don't know of any systems for a DSLR but as they are such a great tool for some TL jobs hopefully someone will come up with something. Until then I can only suggest rigging up a custom X/Y camera stage with stepper motors.

#9 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

If you have the time and tools:

http://www.cnczone.c...orums/index.php

#10 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Its very small and light-weight too, plus its extremly easy to use. The movements can be operated manually and the computer will record it for playback like a VCR, as well Key-frames and virtual maping too.

It does of course have its limitations too.

Do you know if it will time-lapse your movements? Which obviously will be created in real time.......

S

#11 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Do you know if it will time-lapse your movements? Which obviously will be created in real time.......

S

Yes, you can record the movement in real time, then have the computer play the movement back at a given lower (or higher) frame rate.

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio