#1 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Okay so i've had my NPR for a while and now i'm kicking around the idea of stepping up to super 16. I have searched the forums but haven't really seen much feedback about the quality/satisfaction customers have from certain converters (for lack of a better term). The following names have been coming up quite a bit

Les Bosher
Axel Broda
P + S Technic
CinemaTechnic
CamerasPro
Bernie O'Doherty

I'd like to keep from breaking the bank, but do any of you have experience getting your NPR or other camera converted to super 16 from any of these people?

No need to bad mouth any of them but anything i should be wary of?

Thanks alot. Sorry this has kinda been covered alot.

#2 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

Okay so i've had my NPR for a while and now i'm kicking around the idea of stepping up to super 16. I have searched the forums but haven't really seen much feedback about the quality/satisfaction customers have from certain converters (for lack of a better term). The following names have been coming up quite a bit

Les Bosher
Axel Broda
P + S Technic
CinemaTechnic
CamerasPro
Bernie O'Doherty

I'd like to keep from breaking the bank, but do any of you have experience getting your NPR or other camera converted to super 16 from any of these people?

No need to bad mouth any of them but anything i should be wary of?

Thanks alot. Sorry this has kinda been covered alot.

I would recommend Bernie. Very knowledgeable and honest. He converted my Eclair ACL (cousin to the NPR) and did an excellent job.

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

I would recommend Bernie. Very knowledgeable and honest. He converted my Eclair ACL (cousin to the NPR) and did an excellent job.

Les Bosher has had a Canon zoom lens of mine for just under three years and does not return email or phone calls. I originally sent him the lens for a mount conversion because of his excellent reputation. I don't know what the deal is with him, I suppose his work is very good if he does it.....

-Rob-

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

As far as I know:

Axel Broda only does Arriflex cameras so he cannot convert your NPR.

P+S Technic only does Arriflex cameras so they cannot convert your NPR.

CinemaTechnic, Jorge only does Arriflex cameras last time I checked, so he cannot convert your NPR/

Best,
-Tim

#5 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the answers. and so quickly at that. I think i'll check out bernie for the job. maybe get a laserbrighten while i'm at it.

#6 James Baker

James Baker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

Not sure where you are located, but you might want to consider George Zorzoli at Optical-Electro House in Culver City (Los Angeles) (310) 204-6577.

I've had personal experience with him and recommend his work.

#7 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

I know Robert Hates Les Bosher for what he did to him, and actually I support Robert, I think that was messed up, but the other side of that note, Les converted my cam, and it runs like a million dollars

Best

#8 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

I know Robert Hates Les Bosher for what he did to him, and actually I support Robert, I think that was messed up, but the other side of that note, Les converted my cam, and it runs like a million dollars

Best

Hate is a strong word, I do not even know the man, and harbor no personal animosity for him. The lens was not super expensive as it was a Canon 15-150 F2.8 zoom made for 1" video cameras, a cheap Super-16 zoom not a 11-165 or 8-64 for which I would have booked a flight to get back. I understand it is a small job and sometimes when you have big jobs that pay your bills a few small jobs sometimes slide.

I know Les had a few problems a while back possibly some medical condition, he has a generally excellent reputation I spoke with him several times in the past. As far as I understand it his work is top notch. I just put a word of caution up because if you need something from him there may be a long delay in getting it.

-Rob-

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products