Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hello all,

I am fully aware that being concerned with others' rates while working is a considerable faux pas, but something has been egging me for a bit. How does the key grip's rate compare to the gaffer's? Are they usually/supposed to be the same? I was under the impression that it was. Also, does the BB grip generally have the same rate as the dolly grip?

Of course, I know this depends on the production, the relationship of the hire-ie, and the deal one works out at the beginning, before production. But in general, typically, are these people supposed to make the same amount? Discounting kit rentals, of course.

#2 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

Generally, Key Grip and Gaffer are the same rate. Best Boy and Dolly Grip are also often the same, although some contracts (LA basic) have the Dolly Grip at a couple of dollars more (at scale). Generally, we negotiate a rate above scale so the dolly and best boy often end up being the same for a particular production. It's actually a good idea to keep an eye on what the other departments are making so you know how to negotiate. I know of jobs where the key found out the gaffer was making a little more (and vice versa) and renegotiated and got the same, higher rate.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:05 PM

It's all a negotiation. Producers are going to low ball you, and you are going to high ball them, and then hopefully you can meet somewhere in the middle.

#4 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

It's all a negotiation. Producers are going to low ball you, and you are going to high ball them, and then hopefully you can meet somewhere in the middle.

And the first thing out of their mouth will be, "We don't have any money but..."

#5 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Sometimes the Dolly Grip can get the Key rate. Also, it's not unusual to get a kit rental for the best boy and dolly grips.

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC