#1 Zac Halberd

Zac Halberd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Cardiff

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

I've been chatting with a few people here in Britain, and word has it that it's difficult to get negative insurance for solid state format such as P2 and the RED. Anyone here have any experience with this matter, and if so, where do you see solid state in the insurable future??? Would be interesting to hear the American point of view on this (not that it would be different). I understand some mega budget shoots can get insurance anyway, but for those lower budget films???

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

In my experience insurance tends to require that everything be duplicated onto a redundant pair of magnetic tapes. In reality this is very considerably more secure than couriering negative around, and this is an area where there could be a lot of room for change. Things could be easier and more could be done if things were relaxed a little, and it would still be more secure than negative.

The only reason people were ever willing to insure negative, which is extremely delicate in comparison to any data format, is that there was no choice.

Phil

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Mirrored redundant hard drives, LTO-3 tape backups and soon both Panasonic & Sony will have data input solutions for some of their tape decks. Not realtime & cumbersome, but it is a solution. I'm the one who told Kodak to make some form of Digital Microfilm. Imagine a 35mm monochrome negative full of ones and zeros.

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

I'm the one who told Kodak to make some form of Digital Microfilm. Imagine a 35mm monochrome negative full of ones and zeros.

And what did they say? I guess it would look a lot like digital optical sound information on release prints today...

Cheers, Dave

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

And what did they say? I guess it would look a lot like digital optical sound information on release prints today...

Cheers, Dave

Not much, at least publicly. ;-)

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets