12 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hey, everyone. I recently recut my reel a bit. I'd appreciate it greatly if some of you could spare a few minute to take a look and tell me what you think. I always like a variety of eyes to weigh in on it.

It's on my website.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hey Chris,
I like it a good deal. I love the smooth camera moves you have overall and I love your handheld. I'd like to see maybe one or two more static shots, though, where the action plays out; ya know? Kinda complete the triumvirate of shooting?
Just my thought, but it looks good as it always has.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

Hey, everyone. I recently recut my reel a bit. I'd appreciate it greatly if some of you could spare a few minute to take a look and tell me what you think. I always like a variety of eyes to weigh in on it.

It's on my website.

Pretty cool. Like the medium C/U shot of the eyeball. A pretty well balanced mix, even some B/W, which most shooters ignore these days. I would get some beauty shots to round it up.

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

Looks nice overall. Just a couple of thoughts:
The tight shot of the gun is soft. You shouldn't use it in my opinion. I know it ties in to the shot preceding it, but I just don't think it's worth using when it's as soft as it is.
The ext. handheld shot is too frenetic. I wouldn't use that one either. Everyone can do frenetic handheld. I'd prefer to see some smooth handheld instead.

#5 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi Chris,

I dig your shots. Especially the bar scene is really nice. But the footage seems to be little on the dark side on my computer. Did you convert it from NTSC colors to RGB? I.e. the white level should be 255, 255, 255 for computer use vs. 235, 235, 235 for NTSC (at least that's what it is with PAL).

Cheers, Dave

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:33 AM

Awesome, guys! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking to hear about. Is anyone else seeing things a bit dark? If it's common I'll look into fixing it. If it's just David, I'll probably just leave it. Unfortunate thing about output to the web is you can't control everyone's viewing conditions, operating system, or monitor. :ph34r:

#7 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:50 AM

Awesome, guys! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking to hear about. Is anyone else seeing things a bit dark? If it's common I'll look into fixing it. If it's just David, I'll probably just leave it. Unfortunate thing about output to the web is you can't control everyone's viewing conditions, operating system, or monitor. :ph34r:

Yes you can't. But my monitor is calibrated to sRGB :D. The stuff being dark isn't really the problem it looks a little flat too. Looky here:

Source:
Posted Image

With Levels corrected:
Posted Image

Cheers, Dave

#8 Timothy Martin

Timothy Martin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

Looks nice overall. Just a couple of thoughts:
The tight shot of the gun is soft. You shouldn't use it in my opinion. I know it ties in to the shot preceding it, but I just don't think it's worth using when it's as soft as it is.

I 'd take out the tight shot of the gun as well. Everything else seemed on point to me. I thought it was a good reel that kept me wanting to see more.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:54 AM

Looks like the gun shot is going!

Thanks for the demonstration, David. I just wanted some confirmation from other people, no offense to your monitor intended. ;)

Tim, making people want to see more is exactly what I want. :lol:

#10 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

Haha is that Nick in the ext. handheld stuff? Hilarious.

Some shots I really dig, I like the bar stuff as was mentioned, and your last shot, has a very painterly effect I really enjoyed, nice tones and contrast.

Gonna cut in Sleep Shift footage in there?

#11 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

Gonna cut in Sleep Shift footage in there?

What do you think the bar stuff and the last shot is from? Did you pull focus on all of that or not?;)

#12 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hmm I went to your page and watched your reel but there was no sleep shift stuff in there. Odd. I ment different bar stuff. I'll check it again.

#13 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hmm I went to your page and watched your reel but there was no sleep shift stuff in there. Odd. I ment different bar stuff. I'll check it again.

Maybe you checked it while I was working on it, but I did all that before I posted this thread. I dunno. I'll check the files and make sure an old one didn't get left up.

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera