#1 DjDecibul

DjDecibul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

Hey all. I'm working on a film for a district wide film festival. I am a student film maker who is a freshmen @ Hoover High School in Glendale,CA and I would like to know how to light those. Bright and shining summer morning shots. With those powerful exposures. Can someone please help me out?

Thank you,
Carl Ghazarian :)

#2 jeffrey Siljenberg

jeffrey Siljenberg

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

Sure a couple of questions though what do you mean by powerful? Do you have any visual refrences in mind, movies you've seen or photos? Int. or Ext. ?Generally if its morning keep the light not to high above eye level as you don't want it ot look like 12 noon. i useually like 6 stops or so difference between light and shadow depending on the film stock or Camera if your shooting digital. Hope that helps. Enjoy your show.
Kindest Regards,
Jeff

www.jeffsiljenberg.com

Hey all. I'm working on a film for a district wide film festival. I am a student film maker who is a freshmen @ Hoover High School in Glendale,CA and I would like to know how to light those. Bright and shining summer morning shots. With those powerful exposures. Can someone please help me out?

Thank you,
Carl Ghazarian :)

#3 rohtash chandel

rohtash chandel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • mumbai (india)

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:08 AM

Sure a couple of questions though what do you mean by powerful? Do you have any visual refrences in mind, movies you've seen or photos? Int. or Ext. ?Generally if its morning keep the light not to high above eye level as you don't want it ot look like 12 noon. i useually like 6 stops or so difference between light and shadow depending on the film stock or Camera if your shooting digital. Hope that helps. Enjoy your show.
Kindest Regards,
Jeff

www.jeffsiljenberg.com

i think the contrast ratio depends up on the kind of location we are shooting in, we shot some early morning scenes recently, one of the room we shot in had windows on three sides which justifies the lower ratio as you will have ambient light coming in through rest two windows and i feel morning sunlight in addition to warmness has little softness to it, and does not cast sharp shadows,

#4 DjDecibul

DjDecibul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

It is an interior shot. In a bed room about 8' by 8'. I have 3 tungsten lights and will be filming at about 2 PM. I basically want to get this type of shot. Like I want to cast a powerful ambient light to symbolize the bright morning look. How can I do this?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18983 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

If all you have are some small tungsten lights, you can't create that big sunlight effect -- your best bet would be to shoot when the sun is actually coming in, or use a 4'x4' mirrorboard or silver reflector and reflect the sunlight in.

#6 DjDecibul

DjDecibul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

I see, could you please send me a link of this reflector?

Thanks,
Carl Ghazarian

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18983 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

http://www.bhphotovi...tor_42x42_.html

#8 Drew Ott

Drew Ott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, TX

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

I see, could you please send me a link of this reflector?

Thanks,
Carl Ghazarian

Or if you're on a tight budget you can buy some insulation boards at a hardware store. They have a silver reflective side that has worked well for me.

You may want to back the non-reflective side with something sturdier though, because they will want to snap if in the wind.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

Or if you're on a tight budget you can buy some insulation boards at a hardware store. They have a silver reflective side that has worked well for me.

You may want to back the non-reflective side with something sturdier though, because they will want to snap if in the wind.

You can also spraypaint the other side with cheapo silver paint. It makes a pretty good soft side. Make sure to use the really cheap silver because the more expensive silvers actually dry too perfect and shiny for a soft side of the board.

#10 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:47 AM

Another thing you could do is get a piece of 4x4 cardboard or Styrofoam and tape silver mylar to one side of it. Mylar is that stuff that that they make those shiny party balloons out of. Mylar is great because it is highly reflective (Mylar can be a bit pricey however, so if you can, just get a sheet big enough to fill the cardboard rather than an entire roll. I am not sure exactly where to purchase this stuff, but studio depot or filmtools probably has it)

If you have the money to rent a mirror board or shiny board, it will be easier to control and would most likely work better, but I listed the above as a possibly cheaper alternative.

Also, please change your screen name to your first and last name because it is a requirement for the forum.

I hope this helps and good luck

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Quantum Music Works

Ritter Battery