2 replies to this topic

#1 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Loading the Arriflex SRII Magazine. Good video for those new to the Arri SR, or anyone new to film in general and curious about one the many rewarding disciplines of real filmmaking.

I wonder how practical it would be to have a few subforums here in Students and First Time Filmmakers specifically for tutiorals in a few aspects of filmmaking. Maybe it's worth considering.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:39 PM

It's a fine tutorial.

He's kinda making it harder for himself by removing the core adapter on the Feed side. It's easier to just feed the end through then just simply press the roll and core onto the core adapter. And when setting your loop, it's best to keep your thumb pressed against the roller so you don't pull any film out of the feed side once the loop length is set.

He should also have emphasized the importance of releasing the "Film Guide/Roller" or Hard Count Lever. I've had too many shoots where I've had to slap the already loaded and taped mag silly so it would release and I would actually know how much film I've rolled.

Just little oversights :)

#3 Todd Ferguson

Todd Ferguson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Los Angeles CA.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Good advice the rollers are important and people forget, But I would not slap the mag to release the roller ever. It will end up on the film and roll along the whole thing. You need to get it right before shooting it because of noise, vibration, scratches, emulsion build up etc. Check the take up while you still have the door open before taping or handing off. Check everything every time. Why risk it?

Todd Ferguson.

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies