5 replies to this topic

#1 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

I have a Kowa Prominar 16-H Anamorphic lens that does not seem to focus properly.

If anyone can recommend a good technician in the New York City area, I would appreciate it.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Our lens tech Jon said that he would give it a look, but you should be aware that parts have not been made for this lens in some time and are no longer available. If it is just a lubrication and adjustment then it should be no big deal. Contact our service department at 212-462-0100.

#3 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Our lens tech Jon said that he would give it a look, but you should be aware that parts have not been made for this lens in some time and are no longer available. If it is just a lubrication and adjustment then it should be no big deal. Contact our service department at 212-462-0100.

Thanks. I appreciate that. When I'm free next week I'll give you guys a call.

You guys are here, right?

609 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10014

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

That's correct. Swing by during business hours to drop the lens off.

Mitch

#5 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Hi Mitch, and everyone reading this,

I don't know if any of this information would be of use to your lens tech. But I thought I'd send it to you anyway. I realize this may be a lot to read and watch, but if you can find the time I'd truly appreciate it. And of course, anyone else reading this who may be able to chime in here with advice or suggestions, I'm listening. Thank you.

This is a short video of a behind the scenes of someone else using the exact same lens (the Kowa Prminar 16-H) in front of a prime lens with a Bolex camera:
anamorphic 16mm with kowa prominar

Also, I had begun a thread some time ago when I started experimenting with anamorphic. In it, I was advised that the Kowa Prominar would be a good lens attachment to use. I have read elsewhere that this was the case, which is why I acquired one. Here's the thread:

http://www.cinematog...p;hl=anamorphic

Despite having other anamorphic lens attachments, the Kowa Prominar 16-H has a rear diameter that does not vignette when placed in front of my 25mm prime, and it is a shorter lens overall in length, which is why I am so interested in it; it fits better on my Arri S.

And for anyone else reading this, the problem I am having is that the Kowa Prominar lens that I do have does not seem to be focusing properly. This happens when I do two things. When it is mounted in front of any of one of my various spherical prime and zoom lenses. And when I mount the Kowa in front of a standard 16mm film projector. These are problems that I do not encounter when using other anamorphic lens attachments. I am aware that this process, because of the two different lenses, involves two different depth of fields (or depths of field?). I am familiar with this phenomenon and I have spent much time adjusting the hell of the focus rings on every lens involved when I try to get this to work. This is why I believe it is a problem with this specific Kowa Prominar16-H lens. Although Mitch has stated that it just may be that the Kowa 16-H wasnt designed to be compatible with the certain lenses I am using. And of course he may be right.

Thank you

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

This is why I believe it is a problem with this specific Kowa Prominar16-H lens. Although Mitch has stated that it just may be that the Kowa 16-H wasnt designed to be compatible with the certain lenses I am using. And of course he may be right.

Lens incompatiblity would manifest itself as vignetting.

If it's not focusing, it's not focusing.

On the LOMO SovScope attachments for the Konvas M1s, the focus on the attachment and the prime interlock,
which is not the case with the Kowa.

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape