grant mcphee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • UK, Scotland

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

When you invert the camera (turn it upside down for a quick low-mode) which way up do you board the slate? When I've done it I boarded it proper way up to 'reality' (upside down to camera) with 'inverted camera' written on it. Not sure if this is right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

[quote name='grant mcphee' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:43 AM' post='221065']
Hello,

When you invert the camera (turn it upside down for a quick low-mode) which way up do you board the slate? When I've done it I boarded it proper way up to 'reality' (upside down to camera) with 'inverted camera' written on it. Not sure if this is right.

Any ideas?

I always board the slate upside down if the camera is upside down, assuming the shot will be flipped to proper orientation, like with a quick low-mode. But, check with the 1st. That's really the best answer. Do it how the 1st wants it, and slate it that way consistently, and you've pleased everyone.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

Well, it may be easier initially in post if you slate right side up to the world, and not the camera, since they will see the footage upside down first and be able to read the slate before they flip it. But on the other hand, once it's flipped it will be better if you slate upside down. I think the advice of picking one way and sticking with it is a good idea. I'd ask the DP before you do any slating and he may try to find out how they want you to do it so that it's easiest in post.
I've shot with upside down cameras so many times and I honestly can't remember how they slate most of the time. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc