Sean Hanley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hey there! (my first post)

I'm a student shooting a 16mm short in the upcoming month. We are shooting in a science classroom, and the overhead fluorescent lights are Cool White 4100K.

We decided early on that we did not want to have to turn off the overheads and light the entire scene due to the small lighting package that we will have, plus I would like there to be general, even illumination.

So as of now, we are renting a standard FLB filter (though I don't know the specifics of it yet).

My question is, how should we gel the lights that we are bringing to now match with the filter?

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

You aren't trying to match the filter, you're trying to match the Cool White fluorescents so that all the lighting has the same color and can be corrected, either in post or with a camera filter, or both.

This means that if there are daylight windows, they need some green added to them to match the green in the Cool Whites (the difference in blueness is not so important to match, but you could also add 1/4 CTO to the Plus Green on the windows to both warm up the daylight and green it up to match Cool White color.) As for how much green to add, technically Full Plus Green, but these days, it doesn't seem Cool White is that green -- most people would use 1/2 Plus Green.

Any tungsten lights would need blue gel and green gel to match Cool Whites, like 1/2 CTB + 1/2 Plus Green, but the safest thing is to just use Kinoflos with Cool White tubes added instead of tungsten lamps.

Or you can swap out the overhead Cool Whites with tubes that are closer to daylight with less green in them, like Chroma 50's or Kino 55's.

#3 Vincenzo Condorelli AIC

Vincenzo Condorelli AIC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

wht's the filter factor of a flb filter?

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineTape

FJS International, LLC