#1 Chris Saul

Chris Saul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

I am doing a short student film, shooting 35mm, and using the new vision 3 stock. I wanted some gel recipes, all styles, motivated by street lights and business lights so I can get some ideas. The film is about gangs and tagging in East LA. There is a specific scene in the second season of the show Lost when Anna Lucia, the ex-cop has a flash back of killing the guy who tried to murder her. It was a parking lot with a green and orange look. Does anybody remember that scene and could give me an idea of what filters were used?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

I thought we just had this thread...

That orange and green motif is basically representing sodium vapor and mercury vapor lights, respectively. Good contrasting colors, and since they're both kind of "ugly" they're good for creating a harsh or dangerous night look.

In real life both sources have discontinuous spectrums, so it's hard to nail their "exact" color with gel packs on tungsten lights. At that point it becomes open to interpretation what color "feels" right for your scene (and the film stock or video camera you're using). Sodium has a strong spike on the magenta color range and little else; mercury is blue-green (cyan).

Mercury vapor is usually emulated with a mix of some density of CTB and Plusgreen on tungsten lights (or partial CTO+plusgreen on HMI's); densities chosen to taste.

For sodium you'll find lots of recipes depending on your interpretation: http://www.cinematog...dium vapor gels

The Slider

CineTape

CineLab

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport