• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:46 AM

hi

i am about to shoot music video next week it's in a tunnel

the tunnel has over head daylight fluorescent

the singer will be with a group of dancers moving forward and me on a doorway dolly going back

i plan to shoot it with dsr-450 with digiprime 5mm

i need advice for key light. my thought is to put a 2.5hmi on another doll 3-4 meter behind me which will be connect to my dolly with to pips so it will be the same distance all the way cause i want the light will be even on them
and the light will be at the lens Axis
we plan to use color gel on the key light and then correct it for normal skin tone so the background will change color

one problem is that i need to do top shot and afraid i will cast shadow on them

to solve this maybe i will do it a little from the side

do you have advice ?

we have ref from moloko music video maybe you find out how they did it cause the light look very soft

here is the link:

#2 Nicolas Eveilleau

Nicolas Eveilleau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris, France

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

It's kind of pricy but did you tought of lighting ballons ? You can have few of them on the top, or/and an other one just behind your dolly. The light will be even, that's for sure.

#3 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

there are no balloons here in Israel

i need to be fast we have 2 hours to do any rig and 5 hours to shoot this

after big thought i think i will go with something soft near camera like building a kind of ring light from kinos or work with my 500w China ball or with pancake light on boom arm with operator going back that way he can swing the light left to right up& down

the only problem is that i need to gel the light to change to color in post

maybe at the end i will put color gel on the flu

wait to here from you :)

Edited by Ram Shani, 14 March 2008 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

I would recommend just having a grip walk holding a china ball just above camera. It will give you the soft look you need and it should give enough light to adequately key her. As for the changing color, I guess you could gel your china ball. My only other thoughts if you want the light to change color in shot is look into the LED stage lights. They are more directional units that would probably have to be mounted somehow. But they basically mix primary colors to any color you'd like. They also require to be controlled via DMX so it could add to the complication of the setup slightly.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

It shouldn't be a problem to mount a few Kino's on the dolly, either side of the lens, for a soft frontal light. Tube them or gel them any color you like.

#6 Kiarash Sadigh

Kiarash Sadigh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

For your frontal shot try to rig a light on your dolly...this is very simple and grips can do it in 10 minutes...anything from a 2k Tung to 5k through a chimmera would do...I would personally go for the 5k, so by the time you diffuse and colour correct it, you still have enough punch...
now, if you want to be more stylistic (depending on the width of your tunnel) you can have two other lighting units (either on foot or on two other dollies) walking or rolling on either side of your artist to side light them...picture a triangle of lights: one comes from the camera dolly and the other two come from the sides...
For your top shot...(not sure if you're travelling with them though) you can always stay a few feet behind the group so your shadow always misses the bottom of the frame
one other really cool effect (if you have the means for it) is to put your group of people on a low-boy trailer (http://www.trailboss.com/lowboy.html) then rig your lights on the front or sides of the trailer so when you move your lights stay perfectly constant and your motion will stay seamless...
good luck,
Kiarash Sadigh
DP Toronto

#7 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:56 AM

thanks for all the replay

the led thing is great advice i will try to find big one to rent so i will have power

if not i will go with china or kino's

thanks ram

" low-boy trailer " this is a small bridge tunnel :)

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineLab

Tai Audio

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc