Photo

Adapter for use of Nikkor lenses with XL-1 or -2 or other DV camera?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Roel

Simon Roel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hello there,

A friend of mine is an avid still-photographer and has quite a few Nikkor still-photography lenses (F-mount). We are currently planning a trip to Kamchatka to shoot a doc. Due to logistical and economical reasons we are considering going with the Canon XL-1 (a friend of ours has an XL-1). However, it seems I can't find out which adapter allows you to use the Nikkor lenses with the XL-1, or if there even is one out there. I did hear something about an Optex Nikon adapter as a possible solution, although I couldn't track it down.
Does anyone have any experience using Nikkor lenses with the Canon XL 1 or -2? Or with using Nikkor lenses with some other prosumer DV/HD camera (like the JVC GY-HD110U for example)?

Thanks,

Simon

#2 Ollie Bartlett

Ollie Bartlett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Other
  • Bristol, UK

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hi there,

There are a load out there that all utilise various different lens mounts. Theres the Redrock Micro, Letus Extreme, SG Pro to name a few, all of which allow for a Nikon F-Mount and are reasonably inexpensive.

Moving up a grade theres the Movietube, and if you're feeling flush the PS Technik Mini35.

All of them essentially do the same thing, which is lose a lot of light, make shoots last twice as long and give you quite a soft image, but then again, you do get very shallow depth of field when using longer lenses (although not the 'automatic film look' that some people think they will produce).

I myself use an XL2 with a redrock adaptor, and although happy with the results, have to consider for every shoot whether its actually needed. If you're shooting a doc it might be nice for interviews and things you can spend time setting up. I certainly wouldnt want to use it if i was going run and gun for any part of the film.

You can see some results if you go to the redrock community site, and have a look at their theatre. This should give you some idea of its capabilities when used in the right hands (which unfortunately on yesterdays shoot did not seem to be my hands! :( )

Hope this helps,

Ollie

#3 Simon Roel

Simon Roel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for answering, I appreciate it.

Best,
Simon

Hi there,

There are a load out there that all utilise various different lens mounts. Theres the Redrock Micro, Letus Extreme, SG Pro to name a few, all of which allow for a Nikon F-Mount and are reasonably inexpensive.

Moving up a grade theres the Movietube, and if you're feeling flush the PS Technik Mini35.

All of them essentially do the same thing, which is lose a lot of light, make shoots last twice as long and give you quite a soft image, but then again, you do get very shallow depth of field when using longer lenses (although not the 'automatic film look' that some people think they will produce).

I myself use an XL2 with a redrock adaptor, and although happy with the results, have to consider for every shoot whether its actually needed. If you're shooting a doc it might be nice for interviews and things you can spend time setting up. I certainly wouldnt want to use it if i was going run and gun for any part of the film.

You can see some results if you go to the redrock community site, and have a look at their theatre. This should give you some idea of its capabilities when used in the right hands (which unfortunately on yesterdays shoot did not seem to be my hands! :( )

Hope this helps,

Ollie

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies