#1 Ken Cangi

Ken Cangi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Producer
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

I just saw this on DVD, and it was, for me, one of the best movies that I have seen in quite some time. Sean Penn and Eric Gautier brought amazing justice to Jon Krakauer's portrayal of Christopher McCandless's emotional journey. The story and characters were engaging, and I loved the cinematography.

Some might argue that Penn elevated McCandless's character to state of excessive romanticism and wisdom beyond his years, although I found that to be integral to the movie's appeal. This young man's journey was driven by idealism and a romantic vision of what his world should be. Penn and Gautier captured that amazingly well, IMO.

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

The cinematography was quite something!
I've since picked up on the fact that Mccandless apparently wasn't as nice a person as depicted on film.
Why oh why did he not just walk up stream??

S

#3 Ken Cangi

Ken Cangi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Producer
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

I've since picked up on the fact that Mccandless apparently wasn't as nice a person as depicted on film.

I couldn't say, although here is his Wikipedia bio. Whatever the truth about his personality, the cinemagraphic portrayal made this one of my favorites films of the season.

Edited by Ken Cangi, 17 March 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

I had mixed feelings about the picture, since this is one of my favorite books of all time, and a story that has had a profound influence on my life. I was afraid that the picture would be too "on the nose," and it was. Malone's voiceover was dreadful, and completely superfluous. The very shots with her awful voiceover would have played out so much more beautifully and philosophically if they had simply been quiet. That is, after all, what McCandless was all about.

But, having said that, this movie had my favorite shots of the year, and is now my favorite cinematography work from 2007, beating out James, No Country, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tom Lowe, 21 March 2008 - 01:19 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio