Fuji 64D
Color-Corrected & Masked to 1.66:1 in FCP

#2 Scot McPhie

Scot McPhie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

I enjoyed it - I liked the old time feel of the music too -- keep up the good work

Scot

#3 Filip Orlandic

Filip Orlandic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

I think that you had to use ND filters. The sky is burning on some parts and you could give some light on the actors with silver or golden reflectors.

Thats all

#4 John Lasher

John Lasher
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

We weren't allowed to use any filters or reflectors. Nothing but the bolex, the lenses provided with it, and daylight.

#5 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Was that shot of the greycard the one you used for telecine or was that just a shot for fun? If it was the latter then you can ignore the following advice. Some cinematographers may have different opinions or methods on this, but for me, I like to have the greycard almost filling the frame with a face somewhere in the shot as a skintone reference. Some cinematographers like to have just the greycard cover the entire frame. Either way, if the greycard is that far back, it makes it harder for the colorist to calibrate the brightness and color for your film.

I must congratulate you for working under such strict limitations. Were you allowed to use any light controlling devices at all? For example, would the school have an objection to you taking a piece of white cardboard and taping aluminum foil to it? Then you would have a cheap reflector on one side and a soft bounce on the other side. Your lighting budget would be about a dollar.

If they object to that, then you could get real snobby and quote Fellini: "film is light." I am totally kidding of course, but I do find that some schools (and I am not saying this is true about yours necessarily) have a tendency to not place enough value on the understanding of lighting and what it can do for your story.

I once was going to shoot a student project and the director told me that lights were not allowed on this shoot. Her school's justification was that lights were not necessary because it was shot on video and that the project was not about the cinematography but rather about telling a story. I have to disagree with this, because these things are integral to the telling of a story. Cinematographers are equal participants in telling a story. Okay, now I'll get off my soapbox.

#6 John Lasher

John Lasher
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

I should probably mention that the bird insert was shot on MiniDV (I actually stole it from some footage I shot for my videoblog.)

#7 bleem

bleem

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

I should probably mention that the bird insert was shot on MiniDV (I actually stole it from some footage I shot for my videoblog.)

http://www.dshed.net...ion?object=5600

take a look. quite the same short;)

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

CineTape