Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been working on a camera for a bit getting the electrics sorted out. It is a Milliken High speed 16mm camera that I finally worked out and hooked up to my DIY 28.8v battery contraption. I figured an XLR connection for power from the battery pack was the way to go after reading a few threads in this forum. On my milliken I just chose 2 connectors of the 3 to hook up to, and it works nicely. BUT: I am starting to take my next camera apart (an Arritechno 35-90) and thought it would be a good (late?) idea to check with the fine people of this board what the normal connections/polarity is when using a 3-pin XLR connector for a film camera. Maybe I could avoid making up my own standard which would be incompatible with what everyone else uses.......?
Any pointers to a diagram/explanation of these connections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Kristian

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

XLR-3 is usually used for low impedance balanced microphones, with ground/shield on pin 1 (Shield grounded at the male end only), and signal on 2 & 3. It's bad practice to use three pin XLR for power, because a mistake can destroy a microphone.

XLR-4 is used for 12 Volt DC power, with negative/ground on pin 1, and positive on pin 4. Way back in the neopilot days, the 50/60 Hz sync pulse was on 2 & 3.

-- J.S.

#3 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:28 AM

Thanks a lot John,

So it seems I have made my own system after all... Well, it's done, it works, just not compatible with anything else...

Kristian

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Thanks a lot John,

So it seems I have made my own system after all... Well, it's done, it works, just not compatible with anything else...

Kristian

You might want to look into some connectors such as 3/5 pin din, which is now available in locking versions. 3 pin XLR is of course standard for sound so someone could get confused and plug the wrong thing in on a set. Also 3 pin XLR sockets etc are traditionally quite expensive and you might be better saving them to use on your sound equipment whereas the din sockets and connectors are cheap in comparison. The standard is for 4 pin XLR tho.

love

Freya

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

You mentioned 28.8v, which would make it a standard nominal 24v battery system. XLR3 is the standard for this, with XLR4 being the standard for 12v. Arri-standard wiring for 24v is pin-1 +, pin-2 -, pin-3 chassis ground.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

I am one of those tedious people who consider putting power down 3-pin XLRs to be absolute madness.

There's even a pyrotechnics system that uses it. Eek!

P

#7 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi again,

I am sorry, but I totally missed the last few, very useful posts from over a month back... my bad and thanks, Mitch, Phil and Freya. I will check to see which pins I ended up connecting on the XLR3. I used the camera on a shoot last Saturday, and so far we haven't had any fireworks :lol:

Kristian

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

... shortly after, a huge explosion could be seen on the Shetland Islands, in direction east-south·east to Oslo...

#9 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

... shortly after, a huge explosion could be seen on the Shetland Islands, in direction east-south·east to Oslo...

Haha.... No I wouldn't worry. The camera is being safely stored under my bed......

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery