#1 Ashley Barron

Ashley Barron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hi there,
I am going to shoot on 24p digital and wanted to achieve this type of soft flat lighting for an interview. Would a Kino Flo achieve this or would i have to go for something different?
Much appreciated,
Ashley.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

That soft quality of light comes from a very LARGE source. In this case it looks like a diffusion frame overhead, with some more soft frontal fill. A single kino won't do it; you need 8x8' or 12'x12' frames for really soft light like that.

Here's some pics of a similar setup I did to give you an idea: http://www.cinematog...n...st&p=202723

If it's just a talking head interview you don't have to use bounces quite that large, but again the larger the source, the softer the light. It just depends HOW soft you want the light. Sometimes bouncing lights into the ceiling is enough to create a flat overall ambience, then you can fill in with something soft from the front.

#3 MZolomij

MZolomij
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi there,
I am going to shoot on 24p digital and wanted to achieve this type of soft flat lighting for an interview. Would a Kino Flo achieve this or would i have to go for something different?
Much appreciated,
Ashley.

Hi,

I would look at a Kino Image 80 or you may want to think about bouncing a 2 or 5k into a 4x8 foamcore shoot that is over camera. My concern would be on your interview room - 2/5k will heat up a room in no time and make everyone uncomfortable. The Image 80 is a pretty big Kino and if it needs to go softer you can add a little diffusion... food for thought.

Good luck.
z

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc