#1 Brandon Del Nero

Brandon Del Nero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:56 AM

I'm a Cine student here in Los Angeles, about to graduate in a few months and I'm officially scared.

Being such a competietive field, it seems like a pretty daunting task to even get started here. I'm worried about all kinds of things, most importantly paying the rent when school ends. I've been told I'm an excellent cinematographer and when my reel is finished it should be outstanding, but I'm still pretty nervous

So how does one get started? I mean in a sense what are some of the resources for us who are just about to get out in the real world? I know the jobs I need, gaffing or assisting, and I know that i need to do some "pro bono" work to get started out, but even the free stuff is amazingly competietive, and how does one make a living after quitting school but before building a repitoir around town?

million dollar question, I know, but any resources, stories, or solid advice would help.

Also, how does one go about getting a "mentor" of sorts in the business? I realize that although I'm graduating and have a solid foundation, I really know nothing yet, and would really like a skilled DP to take me on as some kind of apprentice for little or no pay, but I guess I have no idea of how to approach that either

thanks guys, hope to get a few replies

brandon

#2 Steinrock

Steinrock

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

ditto

FJS International, LLC