Photo

How to set up interrogation lighting, spotlight.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Peterson

Sam Peterson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I did a few searches and didn't find anything addressing my situation

I'm going to be filming a video soon that calls for a scene where someone is sitting in a chair in a pitch black room, the only light being a single bulb above him that pretty much lights only him and the ground below him, basically a spot light. I don't want it to light up the rest of the room.

I don't have any money to spend for this as its a one time use deal (helping friend with a school video project) but was wondering if you guys had any good ideas for achieving this effect with lights easily available at home or elsewhere.

My plan so far is to put a longer "shield" of foil on a simple clamp light directing the light in a single direction as much as possible but I still get a decent amount of ambient light from that.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

You've got the right basic idea, although aluminum foil is shiny and will reflect light back into the shadows where you don't want it. You could use blackwrap, duvetyn (fire retardant black fabric) or even black poster paper to make this "skirt" (shade that hangs down). Just be careful of heat and that no material comes in direct contact with the bulb, to prevent any danger of fire.

#3 Sam Peterson

Sam Peterson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

You could also try a reflector bulb like this instead of a regular household bulb in the clamplight.

#5 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

An experienced studio photographer once showed me the interesting light you can get out of a slide projector. Real film noir look. They have a light bulb that goes through a few condensors & then a lens that can be used to focus the light. Can often be picked up quite cheaply as so many people use data projectors these days.

#6 Sam Peterson

Sam Peterson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Oh, two more good ideas. Thanks.

Yeah, a more directional bulb should definitely help, not sure why I didn't think of that earlier.

I'll also check out some slide projectors on ebay, sounds like you could get some cool looks with one, could even possibly be used in future projects.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport