#1 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

I've just uploaded a bit more film to YouTube. Still shot with a K3 and standard zoom lens. This time it's a mixture of Kodak film stocks.

Talyllyn Railway Motive Power

Kodak 7217 : Locomotive No. 1 on an overcast day
Kodak 7212 : Locomotive No. 2 on a nice sunny day
Kodak 7201 : Locomotives No. 3 & 4 on nice sunny days.

The two tungsten stocks were shot through the correct correction filter at the time of exposure. Processing and telecine was carried out by Todd-AO in London. When viewed on a TV there might be a touch more grain evident in the 200T footage, but I doubt the average viewer would notice if they weren't already looking out for it.

BTW: I know the commentary could be improved in a couple of places, and it's largely the YouTube compression that makes it sound as if it was recorded in a biscuit tin! <_<

Oh, and the still at the beginning was shot on Fuji 64T with a Bronny SQA and an 80mm lens - f5.6 for 12 seconds!

Edited by Ian Cooper, 22 March 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

Must have been fun to shoot.

It might have been nice to shoot later in the afternoon for some more interesting light, although I'm sure the trains dictated the time of shooting.

It's great that you were able to use film on this project, the tones work very well with the subject. Video of the train would have been too "modern."

I agree that U-Tube doesn't do 16mm justice... it doesn't do anything justice really. But at least it's inexpensive.

#3 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:51 PM

Must have been fun to shoot.

Yeah, my first fiddle with 16mm and my first proper project. These clips are just a little diversion playing with the rushes. I've also got footage on this first roll up at the end of the line around the old slate mine the railway was built to serve. Currently waiting in the fridge is a roll of 7218 and one of 7219 to take underground into the disused workings. Will be interesting, but think I'll be up against it regarding light power. Some of my underground stills at other mines can be seen on my website.

It might have been nice to shoot later in the afternoon for some more interesting light, although I'm sure the trains dictated the time of shooting.

Once you reach late morning the sun moves across the hillside behind the railway and casts the lot into shadow until late afternoon. When the sun reappears you'll be shooting towards it. The shot of loco No. 3. heading off into the afternoon sun with the glint from the loco is one of my favs and was later afternoon. The footage of No. 1 & 2 was actually taken during a photographic charter where neighboring landowners have their palms crossed with alcohol so their fields can be used, the trains will do numerous run pasts etc. ...oh, and the train will depart first thing in the morning to catch the early sun before it disappears over the hill!

It's great that you were able to use film on this project, the tones work very well with the subject. Video of the train would have been too "modern."

I'm afraid it's all just my own playing. The plus side is I can point the camera at whatever I want, the down side is I'm paying for the film & lab myself!

I much prefer the look of film.

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio