Mike Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

Hello,

Im shooting on an sr2 and, because of the nature of a few shots, it will be really hard to operate with just a marked monitor. I really need to see the 2.40 markings through the viewfinder.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a 2.40 groundglass for an SR2?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively accurate way to mark my current ground glass?

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

It can be done with Scotch Tape. I would suggest having a camera technician do this for you.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

Mitch is right, it can be done with Scotch tape. You'll need a Hirschman's forceps and a 2.40 framing chart. And you need to be very careful removing and re-installing the fibre optics screen.

You basically tape the framing chart to the wall and focus your camera on it. Study where the framing chart falls on the fibre optics screen. Then carefully remove the screen with the forceps, and carefully apply the Scotch tape (I usually use the Scotch Magic Tape which is sort of frosted but I know others prefer the clear tape) and then carefully put the screen back in the camera, making sure you have seated it all the way in. Look at the framing chart and see how close you got the tape. You may have to do this a few times to get it exactly right. And always remove the tape when the shoot is over.

Best,
-Tim

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

I did it once by generating a graphic of the viewfinder markings at the proper dimensions, and printed it out *actual size* on a piece of white paper. I removed the GG and laid it flat on the printed "template" as a guide. For my purposes it helped to take a marker to the edge of the scotch tape (before adhering it to the GG) to make the line shoe up a little better. Yes, it was very tedious and I had to use tweezers to get the tape to line up right. But it worked.

#5 Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

I did it once by generating a graphic of the viewfinder markings at the proper dimensions, and printed it out *actual size* on a piece of white paper. I removed the GG and laid it flat on the printed "template" as a guide. For my purposes it helped to take a marker to the edge of the scotch tape (before adhering it to the GG) to make the line shoe up a little better. Yes, it was very tedious and I had to use tweezers to get the tape to line up right. But it worked.

Thanks for the replies guys. That seems about how I expected it to be.

Michael:
Im not really very printer saavy. How could i go about insuring that it is printed "actual size" for the specific groundglass? Is this something I could do pretty easily on my home printer or would i need some kind of fancy printer and/or software to make such a small precise little rectangle.

#6 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

I may have gotten lucky that my home printer was pretty precise. You can test it by generating a "ruler" and measuring it yourself. Maybe through trial and error you could adjust the print magnification until it comes out right.

#7 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3060 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

If you have a Super 16 GG, you can use the top & bottom TV safe markings as a down and dirty guide to 2.40:1. It's a last resort, but it has worked well enough for me in the past.

Otherwise, scotch tape is the way to go.

#8 Deepak Bajracharya

Deepak Bajracharya
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nepal

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Namaste,

I have a super 16 GG on my xtr plus with the TV safe marking hopefuly the same as in the prod.

The TV safe marking in this GG could not be used even as the rough guide for 2.40 as it is very tall as compare to the 2.40

Sorry for my english.

with best regards,

#9 Deepak Bajracharya

Deepak Bajracharya
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nepal

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Namaste,

I have a super 16 GG on my xtr plus with the TV safe marking hopefuly the same as in the prod.

The TV safe marking in this GG could not be used even as the rough guide for 2.40 as it is quite tall as compare to the 2.40

Sorry for my english.

with best regards,

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Willys Widgets