2 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Castronuova

Nick Castronuova
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of pre-production for a short student film and had a question.

The film has both interior and exterior (day) shots. Should I shoot exclusively on Vision2 200T (obviously using an 85 filter for the exterior scenes), or should I shoot the interior scenes on 500T, while shooting the exterior ones on 200T?

Thanks,

Nick Castronuova

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

If you can light well for the 200T i'd stick with it; as personally I like the grain on it a bit more than the 500T. it's a matter of choice, of course. Now, working 1 stock does kinda simplify things, obviously, but a lot of this might depend on what "look," you're going for. If you want a grainy harsher look, then i'd go with 250D for the ext and 500T for the int, or a mix thereof. I've shot the kodak '17 with an 85 and was very happy with the results; but again, this is a matter from the dearth of information in your question, of personal taste.

#3 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

Should I shoot exclusively on Vision2 200T (obviously using an 85 filter for the exterior scenes)

If you are transferring to video, you don't need to worry about the 85, just shoot a card in the sun. Other reasons not to use one would be when it's getting dark, you free up your lens to gather more light and filters will cause reflections sometimes, so why take the chance. I was doing this today actually and the only filter I employed was an ND.6.

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Opal

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Visual Products

Glidecam