No replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Bennett

Matthew Bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

I saw this the other day on dvd - was really impressed by the cinematography + unity of the general lighting plan.

Cinematography by Yuen Man Fung. It is shot with a simultaneously ultra high key and really dim look. Combined with the crumbly grey/green Hong Kong backdrops, general filth everywhere (one extended scene takes place on an enormous pile of garbage)... it gives the impression of a nightmare, with a great clarity to the feel of space but also a strange, confused half-light...

Anyway I really dug it, I'd say its worth checking out. Story wise it's just incredibly grim, depressing and brutal.

I really got interested in ultra high key light by watching this... very high-con single source lights, shafts, cuts of direct sun. I shoot almost entirely with the DVX100 andromeda(RAW). It has a nice dynamic range at 10bit color, but still has limitations. High-con lighting to me seems very mysterious, mystical.. and also nicely uses the limited range of video as an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Opal

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Visual Products

CineTape