Photo

Best 16mm film stock for a glossy music video look.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 precious nchanji

precious nchanji

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student
  • MN, st paul

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

I want to shoot a music video with a 16mm camera and i want it to have some sort of glossy look like on most music videos. So i would like to know what film stock would be best. Some people have told me stuffs about reversal film but i don't know what that is and is not also specific.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

That's a pretty broad description. Any "look" is the combination of lots of elements like lighting, filters, lenses, film stock, exposure, processing, transfer and color correction... Not to mention what you put in front of the camera.

I would take the time to identify what specific image characteristics define "glossy" to you -- color saturation, contrast, grain, diffusion, etc. Then look for a stock that will support those particular characteristics.

#3 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

I want to shoot a music video with a 16mm camera and i want it to have some sort of glossy look like on most music videos. So i would like to know what film stock would be best. Some people have told me stuffs about reversal film but i don't know what that is and is not also specific.

Reversal films are films where the camera shoots a positive, not a negative. In the old days, consumers called these "slide" films, and they were popular for home movies and news photography. They have a distinct look, but I'm going to side with Michael Nash in that "glossy" is a very qualitative word and probably means different things to different people, and there's a lot more to achieving a look than just the film stock. Perhaps if you could cite some images or videos that you think capture what you're going for, the folks here could be more help.

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineTape

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio