#1 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

I thought Id put this out there because I had help from forum members while I was tearing my hair out over the technicians who respooled my film with masking tape. The lab I used for the telecine and processing however was fantastic and I cant praise them highly enough....i havent started editing so i thought id put up pictures to bore you anyhow. I am not happy with 10% of what we got, but its hard shooting run and gun style, in the heat and all...thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

that should be "i am happy with about 10%"

#3 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Actually I noticed something strange on the viewing copy DVD. When I play it through my television the border at the top is not visible, but when I play through my computer, there appears to be tiny hairs?/ extra black border? Does anyone know why this would happen? thanks

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Nice stuff! Of course it helps that you have fantastic subjects to shoot, but you've definitely got a knack for identifying subjects, and creating interesting composition. Very nice use of color and contrast. I'm really diggin' the exposures, the way it's shot/transferred for the key light and the shadows go dark, rather than trying to average the exposure for sun and shade. The dark shadows add so much richness and texture.

What film stock? Lenses? Camera?

Are these stills screen caps from a DVD? I can see some video edge enhancement, most visible as an outline around the figures in the second and last pics.

Your TV will always crop a little bit of the image, hence why we always compose for "TV safe action area" (typically 90% of the image area). You computer is displaying the "full raster" video image.

#5 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

What film stock? Lenses? Camera?

Are these stills screen caps from a DVD? I can see some video edge enhancement, most visible as an outline around the figures in the second and last pics.

Your TV will always crop a little bit of the image, hence why we always compose for "TV safe action area" (typically 90% of the image area). You computer is displaying the "full raster" video image.

Yes the images are from the viewing dvd. I was using a bolex rex 5 with a 10mm rx switar I believe, I had a 75mm with 7201 film (half of which was test stock that was a couple of years old but was suprisingly ok in the end - i even had the audacity to take it through xrays in the airport, a gamble that paid off thankfully)

so say a festival projected this - would full image be shown? and all that dirt at the top therefore must be the camera's fault - heres a better example;

Posted Image

thanks for your reply,

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

CineLab

Wooden Camera

CineTape