New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • india

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

hi.....
all there....please see the link.....it's my first music video(a college exercise) shot on super 16mm with aaton camera.........i would love to see your harsh as well as encourgeing comments......do reply.........
the link is

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

For a college film and first music video, I'd say it looks pretty good!

It's hard to do anything interesting with lighting in the middle of an open field, so it looks like you did what you could. I think for a video like this (all day exterior) a more aggressive color-correction could have spiced things up a bit. Crank the contrast and the color, maybe add some subtle vignetting here and there. Maybe the occasional grad filter for the sky. But that's just me; there's nothing wrong with the way you shot it.

Creatively, it's often difficult to sustain visual interest in a video that's mostly performance in one location. The camera movement looks good and helps keep things moving, but you could have put in some tighter shots and longer focal lengths for variety. But again, that's a matter of taste.

And "ankit," please go to "My Controls" and update your display name to your real first and last name, per the rules you agreed to when you registered. Thanks.

#3 ankit trivedi

ankit trivedi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • india

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:56 AM

hi nash.....
thank you so much for a kind and brif reply....as you said tight close-ups and long focal length lenses shots would have been added advantage...that i feel after watching over and over again.......still i haven't done anykind of colour correction........i feel the colour i chose for the actors were wrong because it's not giving me any contarst to the background.....what would you like to say about that.........
i am going to shoot my diploma film 15th April onwards ........please advice me in which area i should look for...........
thanks.........
ankit

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Like I said, simply increasing the overall color saturation can make an image look a little more "rich," but still working with the basics of what's there. Or, you could take a more stylized approach and create an artificial color scheme, like a cross-process reversal look. Or something else entirely. There are no rules, it's only what you feel is right for the piece.

In a music video you're usually just trying to create a "feeling" with the images, so you have a lot of freedom to shoot it (and color correct it) any way that works. In a narrative film you have to serve the telling of the story, which includes supporting the narrative point of view and creating different moods throughout the film.

I don't know anything about your diploma film so I can't give you any specific advice. But in general I'd take what you've learned and keep trying to do that well, and also challenge yourself a little bit with new ideas or new techniques. Good luck.

#5 Aliakbar Campwala

Aliakbar Campwala
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

I like the camerawork, quite neat for a college film..You can still colorise the film so it will look more rich and pro....great job guys!

Ali

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

The Slider

CineLab