#1 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

hi i am going to be shooting a little short thats coming up soon - thats in a local shop with flourescents overhead. I was thinking to turn them off. considering that I am a novice in terms of lighting, I was wondering what the best way was to go about it. I will be shooting on kodak 500t, and I have a big window at the front with lots of natural light coming in. So if I light inside with tungsten lights, will I have to gel the whole of the window to compensate for the 500t? Thanks for your time,

R

Edited by Ralph Tabith, 01 April 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

Try a search of "fluorscent lighting," since we discuss this exact situation about twice a year here.

The short answer is the obvious -- if you want all your lighting to have the same color temperature, you have to gel them to match each other, or change out bulbs/tubes so that they all match. When that can't be done, you use the lights that are most convenient for you (meaning controllability and brightness), and you turn the others off.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

You'd probably have the stop to shoot through an 85b on lens, and replace the floros with tungsten balanced tubes. Or turn them off and light with gelled tungsten floor units. That would be much easier that gelling the whole window. Consider your power limits, if your window is really bright, you might find you need A LOT of tungsten power, to compensate for the gel. if your struggling for stop, or just want a warmer look try gelling with 1/2 CTB instead of full.

#4 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

You'd probably have the stop to shoot through an 85b on lens, and replace the floros with tungsten balanced tubes. Or turn them off and light with gelled tungsten floor units. That would be much easier that gelling the whole window. Consider your power limits, if your window is really bright, you might find you need A LOT of tungsten power, to compensate for the gel. if your struggling for stop, or just want a warmer look try gelling with 1/2 CTB instead of full.

thanks for the responses guys - ill get on it....

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

...and replace the floros with tungsten balanced tubes.

You mean daylight balanced, in this case.

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS