• Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Anybody here having troble logging in filmshooting.com
:(

Yes, in fact I just did - I have gotten a new 'VIP' number code and couple of weeks ago, I could log in but not today. I have tried several times today but I got fed up.
Any hints, master Giles or Andreas?

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm

#3 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yes, in fact I just did - I have gotten a new 'VIP' number code and couple of weeks ago, I could log in but not today. I have tried several times today but I got fed up.
Any hints, master Giles or Andreas?

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm

yes, it seems to be down. I hope this doesn't imply a lot of work for the administrator.

#4 Giles Perkins

Giles Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

Does seem to be down - I thought I was having massive memory loss and couldn't remember any of my passwords!!!

#5 jacob thomas

jacob thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Does seem to be down - I thought I was having massive memory loss and couldn't remember any of my passwords!!!

When I go to the forum page it comes up with a dialogue box with the text
"Enter username and password for "FORUM TEMPORARY DOWN" at [url="http://www.filmshooting.com""]http://www.filmshooting.com"[/url]

So I'd guess the forum is temporarily down. ;)

#6 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Andreas has been promising for awhile to completely revamp it so maybe that's what he's doing.

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Probably many are used to going straight to the forum and not the front page.

Attached Images

• Filmshooting.png

#8 James Grahame

James Grahame
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Canada

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Probably many are used to going straight to the forum and not the front page.

Or you could simply say, "The front page of filmshooting.com says that the site will be back on May 1st, after Andreas gets back from his honeymoon."

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Or you could simply say, "The front page of filmshooting.com says that the site will be back on May 1st, after Andreas gets back from his honeymoon."

You're kidding right? Have I done something wrong here?

My intent was to share information for the good of the super-8 community so people don't have to needlessly check everyday wondering what was going on. Are you implying a sinister motivation behind my sharing of useful information"

I'll just pretend you said "Thanks Alessandro, probably some people forgot to check the front page and were in the dark".

--------------------------------

You're welcome.

#10 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hey, actually, thanks Alex (or, well, actually... would you prefer Alessandro instead of Alex :unsure: ?)

Although I usually jump straight to the filmsht.com forum after nevertheless opening the front page first in the browser, I never actually look at it because it never gets updated and always looks visually identical, so even if you glimps it briefly, you wouldn't consciously notice the new News header!
In that respect, your attached image actually was very helpful and made me notice what is up! So I can follow your rationale 100%!

Also, I wouldn't worry about James' "stylisms" - I got worse to hear from him for no reason at all and there is something aggravating in his writing that makes you think he is upset while maybe he actually isn't at all.
Or maybe it's the particular climate in the (virtual) Smallformat office that oozes through here... after all, Jürgen is also easily (as in "unsubstantiatedly") aggravated as seen recently here... :huh: ... if I wouldn't know better, I would say it's "sooo German" :D .
(@ all mongers: I hold a German passport, so calm down, dears, it's irony!)

Have a nice week-end, Alessandro,

Cheers

-Michael

#11 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

I'm over it. If any filmshooting people want to communicate you might as well use this topic, or, leave a link to some other place if this isn't deemed to be the right environment.

#12 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

I agree. Let's move on.

#13 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

I wonder where Andreas is honeymooning in California?

Maybe he'll stop in at all the sights (Spectra, Pro 8, Yale, Yosemite...)

I got a little worried last week. When news broke that a Finnish tourist had been arrested on Easter Island for carving up a statue there, and then Filmshooting was down at the exact same time, I started putting two and two together.... thank god it's only a wedding.

Edited by Jim Carlile, 12 April 2008 - 04:14 AM.

#14 James Grahame

James Grahame
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Canada

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

You're kidding right? Have I done something wrong here?

Nah, thanks for sharing the info with people. I was just trying to say, "Hey, you didn't need to go to the trouble of grabbing a screenshot." :)

#15 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

I wonder where Andreas is honeymooning in California?

Maybe he'll stop in at all the sights (Spectra, Pro 8, Yale, Yosemite...)

Haha, in that order.

I got a little worried last week. When news broke that a Finnish tourist had been arrested on Easter Island for carving up a statue there, and then Filmshooting was down at the exact same time, I started putting two and two together.... thank god it's only a wedding.

Somebody has an active imagination.

#16 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:46 AM

Well, I had an announcement elsewhere as well, lol, but that forum is down as well.

#17 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

He went back on a short while ago.

#18 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Filmshooting is definitely up and running, but there's a problem I've noticed that I don't see happen too much at this site:

Andreas over there has been censoring content.

It's rather distasteful, and I just wanted to warn you. He's especially prone to delete posts that contain left-wing or liberal comments, even if they are totally film related. He'll delete the whole thread.

Somebody last week asked about the Zapruder Kennedy film-- a great 8mm topic-- and when the discussion got around to Kodak and how everyone let Zapruder take the film around to the various labs, and how that would never happen today in a similar situation, out went his censor shears.

He's done this before. A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.

When it was pointed out that this was where the National Security Agency was, and that Filmshooting was obviously being monitored because of its international traffic, Andreas refused to allow the discussion.

What's he afraid of? I've noticed that many of you here are pretty vital and informative posters, yet you somehow are forbidden from being at that site...what gives?

The discussions over here have been more vital lately, I think. Most over there seem to always have something to sell.

#19 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

Filmshooting is definitely up and running, but there's a problem I've noticed that I don't see happen too much at this site:
Andreas over there has been censoring content.

I knew that Santo was right after all! Hail the Saint of Truth!! Filmsht.com is indeed what it appears to be...

A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.
When it was pointed out that this was where the National Security Agency was, and that Filmshooting was obviously being monitored because of its international traffic, Andreas refused to allow the discussion.

Who would have guessed that Maryland's finest are eavesdropping on "the other forum ®"? Maybe some renegate inhabitant of Fort Meade just wants to find out when Gottfried Klose will finally come up with his Velvia 50 New Cartridge product vapourware? I couldn't blame him/her!

What's he afraid of? I've noticed that many of you here are pretty vital and informative posters, yet you somehow are forbidden from being at that site...what gives?
The discussions over here have been more vital lately, I think.

Notwithstanding my humourous take at the seemingly quite worrying state of filmsht.com above, ciny.com is indeed generally regarded as a less vital, easy-going and twitterish but more productive, accurate and professional site with mannered members who do actually make films.

Most over there seem to always have something to sell.

...a problem that got recently imported to ciny.com and that is already met with a zero-tolerance party from Moderation in order to maintain the quality here!

#20 James Grahame

James Grahame
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Canada

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

He's done this before. A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.

I think I can explain the Washington D.C. traffic. I occasionally post film-related things on retrothing.com. If I learned about them through a thread on filmshooting I mention it in the post. It doesn't usually result in a huge amount of traffic, but several of my film-related writeups in the past few months have been linked to by some extremely large gadget blogs (which get several million readers per day), which resulted in a lot of unintended traffic flowing through to filmshooting.

Several of those sites are hosted at the AOL Dulles Data Center, a few short miles down the road from some very secretive and completely unrelated federal agencies. :)

Edited by James Grahame, 13 May 2008 - 09:09 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Opal

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam