#1 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Recently picked up an Elmo 106 which seems to run fine. A question:

On the right-hand side, above the handle, there is a threaded jack which looks like it would allow single-frame shooting. However, my remote cable, which works fine in the top trigger release for normal running, won't produce any results in the side jack.

Any ideas?

Rick

#2 Aaron Martin (TX)

Aaron Martin (TX)
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

That's for single frame shooting. You can get a copy of the manual for the 106 here:

http://www.mondofoto...s/elmosuper106/

Check out jpg 15, which is page 14 of the manual. It shows a guy using a cable release attached to that socket.

Hope that helps,

Aaron

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

The Elmo Super 160 - for its age from the late 1960s/early 1970s - is incredibly well fitted out in respect to remote operations.

You can find two cable release sockets, one on top for continuous running, and one on the right-hand side of the body (which is troubling you) for single frame releases. There is also (quite advanced for its time) a socket for a remote control on the lower left-hand side of the body.

I attach a picture to this post to assist Aaron's post above.

To your problem, Rick:

On the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, you will find a very similar distribution of release means. There is also a cable release socket on the right-hand side of the body for single frame releases. When I got my ZM II, I had the very same problem as you have now: the cable release I owned and that worked perfectly on other cine-film or photographic cameras was unable to release single frame. Although you could screw the cable release into the thread, pushing the release button in didn't produce any results. I initally thought of a camera-internal malfunction, but in the end that wasn't it.

By chance, I got my hands on a new cable release that offered variable length push-pins. That means that you can alter the length of the push-pin that moves out through the screw thread when push the release button in. By playing around with the length of the push-pin, I got that device to work on the ZM II's single frame release. Although the mechanical and physical basics for this solution remain a myth to me, the Beaulieu single frame release does only work with that cable release at a certain length of the push-pin being pushed out into the camera.

I am not sure if that might help you - it all sounds like a belated April's Fool joke which it isn't - but maybe changing your cable release (if it isn't variable) might help.

Attached Images

• Elmo_Super_106.jpg

#4 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Thanks guys.
My cable release pin can extend about 3/4 inch and when I attach it to single frame jack I can only push it about half that, so it's not like my pin is too short. Also, when I press it the continuous run button depresses (though it does not run). I'll keep playing and will try some other cables.

Re: the other remote jack on the back-left, interesting. I thought it was to connect external power.

Curious: it says in the manual that when shooting single frame you should close down one-stop from the auto reading. Why one-stop down for single-frame? Something to do with the shutter?

Rick

#5 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

The shutter speed is slower at the single-frame option-- about 1/2 as much. Something like 1/20th of a second compared to 1/40th or so, and the meter does not automatically compensate for this. Better for low light, though....

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Glidecam

Opal

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post