8 replies to this topic

#1 John Thomas

John Thomas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Akron, Ohio USA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

I started the DI process on my first film today. I'm working at EFilm in Hollywood with colorist Steve Scott. Efilm seems like an A+ facility. It's nice to have some modern control over the color correction process.

The company I'm working for plans to make a few "nice" prints but the bulk of the release prints are coming from the IP/IN process. If you've got a machine that can make you a negative why do you have to make prints the old fashioned way? Is it really that much more money to make the negatives you need at EFilm instead of the IP/IN route?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:03 AM

Well, EFILM probably would charge an additional $45,000 or more for each digital negative output, though maybe that price could be negotiated down. Compare that to probably spending $20,000 to make an IP & IN total, so that's still cheaper than outputting more original negatives. But I agree, it's silly when the quality is so much better to just keep directly outputting the number of negatives you need for release printing and skipping the IP/IN steps. A 2K resolution D.I. isn't so much of a loss if the prints are made directly from the output negative.

#3 tylerhawes

tylerhawes
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

I remember on Superman Returns Harris Savides tried to get all the prints to be first-generation IP/IN and not dupes (for theaters). Of course I agreed it would be wonderful. But an extra million dollars for better looking prints didn't get the accountants excited.

#4 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

On my side of the pond, the price for a IP/DN or a second digital recording to DN are practically identical. Some producers still have very old habits, some of them still seem to want U-matic until we explain it is no longer a current format.

#5 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hi Tyler think you will find that Mr Savides did not shoot " Superman Returns "

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi Tyler think you will find that Mr Savides did not shoot " Superman Returns "

Wish he had though...

#7 Doug Okamoto

Doug Okamoto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Producer
  • Bellevue, WA / Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Tyler probably saw American Gangster last night which is why Harris Savides stuck in his head.

I know Tyler remembers Bryan Singer...

:lol:

#8 tylerhawes

tylerhawes
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

Yeah that was a weird mental slip. OK I was doing some work on Zodiac at the same time as I was working on Superman Returns, and my brain apparently manifested signs of early-onset Alzheimers by conjoining the two projects.

Of course I meant Thom Sigel!

#9 John Thomas

John Thomas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Akron, Ohio USA

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

I'm almost finished with the DI. A couple reels are going out to film soon. We're going to make 10-20 show prints, the rest will come from the IP/IN routine. I have to say that Steve Scott and EFILM have made the film look as good as it can look.

My current job will be finished in the old school method. I'm going to miss the DI suite. I'd better do some decent photography upfront, no saves at the finish line next time. :(

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

Visual Products