#1 Ger Leonard

Ger Leonard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Director
  • dublin, ireland

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

I recently saw Carlos Reygadas' "Silent Light" which features some stunning cinematography, none moreso than the seemingly effortless opening shot .
The film begins with an image of a starry sky, with nothing but chirping crickets on the soundtrack. The camera then tilts slowly downward until we see the horizon in the distance. After this, the sun slowly rises, and we begin to make out the rolling hills, and a few trees. As the sun continues to rise, the soundtrack begins to teem with life- chickens, cows, and the like- and we see a farm. All the while, the camera ever-so-slowly pushes forward toward the horizon, as the sun rises higher and higher above the hills.

He claims that "I was listening to Sigur Rós before going to bed, the computer was in front of me, and the screensaver came on. I have this cosmic screensaver, a picture of stars moving out of the frame very, very slowly. I looked at that magnificent space landscape with the music of Sigur Rós playing and I thought the movie had to open like that."

I admire this shot and his honestly in giving its rather mundane inspiration immensely.

I am a writer/director myself with my first feature due to go into production this autumn/winter.

The opening scene of my script reads.

EXT. SHORE ? NIGHT 1

Night stars reflect on the rolling waves of the sea.

The dawn is breaking, shedding light, filtering shades of blue up through the night sky, like a bruise.

MOVE BACK with the dawn TO REVEAL an empty swimming pool, covered in leaves, with a low diving board belonging to an empty house for sale overlooking the sea.

MOVE around over the shore to the sky above a city.

The city?s yellow/orange streetlights hum out their electric riposte to this now fading night.

Long before I saw "Silent Light" i had envisaged my opening sequence as lasting roughly 6 minutes. To see a film as visually captivating as much of "Silent Light" is inspirational.

My film is very different to Reygadas', but undoubtedly our opening sequences could share something of a similar quality.

I wondered what people felt about this film, the opening and closing shots in particular and his work in general. Also how you feel about seeing work/shots that share similarities with shots you had in mind for your own productions.

if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve such an opening sequence as mine that includes the sea, a beach, a house with an empty swimming pool overlooking the sea, a city.. when it is highly conceiveable that such a location will prove impossible to find/afford. EG green screen, matte painting etc. I would appreciate it.

PS favorite opening shots/sequences ?

Best

#2 Ger Leonard

Ger Leonard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Director
  • dublin, ireland

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

I recently saw Carlos Reygadas' "Silent Light" which features some stunning cinematography, none moreso than the seemingly effortless opening shot .
The film begins with an image of a starry sky, with nothing but chirping crickets on the soundtrack. The camera then tilts slowly downward until we see the horizon in the distance. After this, the sun slowly rises, and we begin to make out the rolling hills, and a few trees. As the sun continues to rise, the soundtrack begins to teem with life- chickens, cows, and the like- and we see a farm. All the while, the camera ever-so-slowly pushes forward toward the horizon, as the sun rises higher and higher above the hills.

He claims that "I was listening to Sigur Rós before going to bed, the computer was in front of me, and the screensaver came on. I have this cosmic screensaver, a picture of stars moving out of the frame very, very slowly. I looked at that magnificent space landscape with the music of Sigur Rós playing and I thought the movie had to open like that."

I admire this shot and his honestly in giving its rather mundane inspiration immensely.

I am a writer/director myself with my first feature due to go into production this autumn/winter.

The opening scene of my script reads.

EXT. SHORE ? NIGHT 1

Night stars reflect on the rolling waves of the sea.

The dawn is breaking, shedding light, filtering shades of blue up through the night sky, like a bruise.

MOVE BACK with the dawn TO REVEAL an empty swimming pool, covered in leaves, with a low diving board belonging to an empty house for sale overlooking the sea.

MOVE around over the shore to the sky above a city.

The city?s yellow/orange streetlights hum out their electric riposte to this now fading night.

Long before I saw "Silent Light" i had envisaged my opening sequence as lasting roughly 6 minutes. To see a film as visually captivating as much of "Silent Light" is inspirational.

My film is very different to Reygadas', but undoubtedly our opening sequences could share something of a similar quality.

I wondered what people felt about this film, the opening and closing shots in particular and his work in general. Also how you feel about seeing work/shots that share similarities with shots you had in mind for your own productions.

if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve such an opening sequence as mine that includes the sea, a beach, a house with an empty swimming pool overlooking the sea, a city.. when it is highly conceiveable that such a location will prove impossible to find/afford. EG green screen, matte painting etc. I would appreciate it.

PS favorite opening shots/sequences ?

Best

here's link to the aforementioned shot

Abel Cine

CineLab

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS