#1 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

I'm shooting a ten minute short on Kodak Expression 200T Super8 stock, and I wondered if anyone had any experience shooting with anamorphic lenses, to be re-converted in telecine.
Also, I have heard that I would be much better off paying extra for a best-light telecine grade than by opting for a one-light and grading in post. Is this true?
Thanks
Matt

#2 Rafael Rivera

Rafael Rivera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Director
  • San Jose, CA

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

A good Colorist can manipulate negative during telecine to an amazing degree. I typically shoot a gray card before each scene and overexpose, anywhere from 1/2 to 1 stop. You can tell the Colorist what you are looking for, and good, solid results can be achieved quickly.

You can also get fantastic results in post when using DPX-files (or 10-bit files) and a a good grading tool like Apple's Color. The quality of the grading will depend to a large extent on the knowledge and experience of the Colorist.

Most Post Houses are very happy to chat about these 2 approaches and can give you good advise, so go ahead and give them a call.

Where are you buying the Expression carts? I haven't used it yet and would love to hear about your expreince shooting with it. I also would love to hear about shooting S8 anamorphic. Good luck!

#3 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. I have bought the Expression carts as part of a stock/process/telecine package from ToddAO in London, and have decided to go the telecine to digibeta route rather than the 10-bit DI (basically because ToddAO at present don't offer scanning for S8). They do have a great deal for students though which means I can get a supervised best-light for the price of a one-light. As for the anamorphic, it's funny it never occurred to me in five or so years of shooting in this format. I've bought a Kowa Prominar 16-S anamorphic lens (£15 on Ebay) and a 49mm to 43mm step-down ring to fit it to my Nizo. Although this will cut down the minimum focal length quite severely, I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem, and well worth it to have the film in widescreen ratio.
I'll post a few frames when the grade is done for you to have a look at.

Cheers

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly