Mike Green

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hello all,

I was just asked to DP a project that will be shooting tomorrow and involves shooting a sunset. I have not shot one before and wanted to see if i could get some tips on what to look out for, etc. We will be on a dry lake bed. This was all short notice so I am not sure what film stock is that will be used.

thx!

#2 Kiarash Sadigh

Kiarash Sadigh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

You're probably better off searching this site under "Sunset" to get more results in such a short notice. But let's say you get there to the location...make sure you have plenty of time to set up and find the best angle....make sure your lens and filters are perfectly clean....have a couple of ND soft grads with you....then as the magic moment arrives take your spotmeter out and read the brightest area of the sky, whatever you read sould be set as 2 stops over...so if you read f11 then set your camera to f22...if you read f5.6 then set the camera to f11 etc. ..if you don't have a spotmeter then use your incident meter and turn your disc away from the sun (facing east)... whatever you read, set it to 1.5 to 2 stops under...this means that if you were to shoot a face with the west sky in the BG then your face would've been 2 stops under....
One more thing: never forget to look behind you...sometimes the sky opposite the sunset looks more dramatic and interesting than the sunset...especially after the sun is down and when the clouds catch the drama...
good luck!

#3 Mike Green

Mike Green

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

thx for the great info! I will be using an incident meter. If I understand correctly I will need to adjust my stop by 1.5 to 2 stops under what I read. Very interesting stuff. thx!

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc