3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

Does anyone have experience with a Sachtler Video 14 head when used with a 16mm or full size HD camera? I saw it is rated for about 33lbs and wondered if this is beefy enough for an Aaton LTR when loaded up? I recently had the camera on one of their smaller heads that turned out to be rated at something like 20lbs and it didn't quite balance when loaded down and it was clearly too small overall. Any advice on what else might be good to look at, that has a similar used price value, would be appreciated too.

#2 Ken Zukin

Ken Zukin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

Bigger is generally better - as the unit will be less likely to flex - and less susceptible to winds, etc. If you are using the tripod for documentary work in some other country, for example, then a lighter set up would be a plus.

Also, think of a tripod as two separate pieces -- stix and head. If you have a tight budget, buy the best head possible, and then buy cheaper legs. Carbon fiber legs cost considerably more than heavier aluminum. In general, a quality tripod, like a Sachtler, will far outlive the camera it's supporting, so I say bite the bullet and get a top quality unit.

A good test is to pan and tilt at the same time -- like you are following a race car through a S curve. The movement should be silky smooth. If you can make it out to NAB in Las Vegas, you can "test drive" all the current models. You really do get what you pay for.

Personally, I own a Sachtler V18 and have rebuilt it once in the 10 years I've owned it. And, I'm the second owner!!

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Does anyone have experience with a Sachtler Video 14 head when used with a 16mm or full size HD camera? I saw it is rated for about 33lbs and wondered if this is beefy enough for an Aaton LTR when loaded up? I recently had the camera on one of their smaller heads that turned out to be rated at something like 20lbs and it didn't quite balance when loaded down and it was clearly too small overall. Any advice on what else might be good to look at, that has a similar used price value, would be appreciated too.

I'm assuming the V18 goes by the name "caddy" as well? I think the 18 is rated for up to 40 pounds. A V14 seems like it might be too small. The 20 is when they get really big, beefy and expensive.

#4 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

I have an older Video 20 for my SR and it has been perfect. I wouldn't use anything much smaller for it.

Best

Tim

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC