#1 capri

capri

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hi guys i have an assignment to write about the work of Andrew Lesnie.I really dont know much about cinematography.Could some one just point me to some resource or tell me about his work.
He has worked on the Lord of the rings triology,King King,I am Legend
this is the specific question to which i need an answer of around 250-500 words:
Que:Has the cinematographer contributed a specific visual style to the films he has worked on.If so define the trademarks of his his style.

any help would be appreciated.....and guys i need this by tomorrow
thanks a lot

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Well of the top of my head all of those movies have heavy special effects work and then the babe movies too.

I haven't seen any of his earlier work.

Maybe there are some online articles on the International cinematographers magazine

http://icgmagazine.com/2008.html

Best

Tim

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Que:Has the cinematographer contributed a specific visual style to the films he has worked on.If so define the trademarks of his his style.

As you (a) "don't know much about cinematography" and (B)"need this by tomorrow", I don't know why I bother to answer this. But it's nice to see at least a fragment of interest in Andrew.

I'd say that "yes" he very definitely contributes a specific visual style to the films he has worked on. The trademark is that the visual style is suited to each film in turn. There are no "trademarks" that put the cinematographer above the story, for Andrew.

His expertise is in effects-heavy films that require particular on-set and in-camera technique as well as digital compositing. So the Babe films required speed shifts, working with animals, etc. The LOTR films required perspective tricks to shrink the hobbits.

But in between the LOTR films and King Kong (all of them about animals with human characteristics, or humans with animal characteristics) he shot a low budget film in Melbourne called "Loves Brother" - a simple relationship film about Italian migrants in Australia in the 1950s, about humans with human characteristics - if you like. About as different from LOTR as you could get. He is (like most Aussie DoPs) very accurate with lighting and exposure, and very thorough in his testing and selection of stocks.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

Have you watched and taken notes on what you see in the movies you listed? Cinematography is first and foremost about observation. ;)

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery