Chris Stones

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:12 AM

I'm about to shoot a short film on 16mm and I could really use some advice.

There is a scene in the film where the lead character runs along the beach at night. There are no lights on this beach but we should be able to position him so that we can see street lights in the distant background.

There is very little money for this shoot so the solution to this has to come cheaply. At the moment we don't even have a generator planned so we will be using battery powered sun guns (we will have both HMI and tungsten, 2 of each - not sure what strength 200W ?).

The scene needs to be quite dark (for the story) and I don't want to add much light to the subject anyway and make the background turn into a black hole (as we don't have the money and resources to light the entire huge background) so I'm happy with working at quite low levels.

I'm open to any suggestions at this stage whether they involve which stock to use, how to process it, and obviously how to best use my sun guns.

I really appreciate your help as I'm a bit lost on this one

Cheers
Chris

#2 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

One thing that is not cheap is Big Night EXT.........

The only way you can achieve this without it being a black hole is condensing your coverage into MCU's and CU's. WS on a beach with a 200W Sun Gun will not do. You can get a couple of 3kva Genny's quite cheap and join them, these will run a 2.5HMI PAR easily and a 4k if it wants. At least this way you could chuck a diff frame up and have a nice soft moonlight background or a Mercury/sodium vapour depending on your choice of colour.

If you dont mind it falling into black, fine, try and position a source in the far BG, us that to justify a little back edge from a sun gun, some soft fill and let the BG fall off. Using out of focus sources in the deep background can also break up the blackness.

Oh yeh, stock wise i would shoot it on 7218 purely for the stop.....

Regards, James.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

There's little point of shooting at a location when all you see is black. I'd tend to shoot at twilight using high speed lenses wide open and a fast stock (500T rated at 320 ASA ), just before total darkness, so the beach itself (or the sea and sky, which will be brighter - depending on how the camera is pointing) is barely registering and your street lights will be on.

You can then light your character according to your taste, however, you don't want a moving spotlight effect from a hard light. If you're moving with them, a china ball on a boom moving with them could give you enough, the colour temperature matching either the street lights or a supposed moon or other source.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Visual Products

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery