#1 Thomas Barndt

Thomas Barndt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director
  • las vegas , los angeles

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

has anyone had consistently dependable results spooling down 7285 400ft loads for the a-minima, we've had a lot of jamming and noise issues. any tips would be appreciated. Tom

#2 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Tom,

Two years ago I spooled 400' of 7285 onto two 200-foot A-Minima daylight spools and ran them through with zero problems. No difference in noise from the regular neg stocks, either. I've also shot 7266 Tri-X reversal with no issues.

Since A-Minima film is spooled emulsion out (B-wind) the first thought I have is maybe it would help if you let the re-spooled film sit for a while before shooting it so it will take the reverse "set" or curve of the standard (A-wind) film from the 400' rolls. This may help it to run more smoothly through the camera.

Also, be absolutely sure the daylight spool halves are securely locked together. You can just grab the flanges and twist them in opposite directions until they lock. You can actually feel them click into place. The only time I've ever had a problem with any A-Minima film was with a re-spool that the lab didn't lock properly. The halves starting to come apart in the magazine and it got noisy and the film jammed like spaghetti in the camera.

Just my own experience, though. Maybe someone else can add something.

-Fran

#3 Mark Lyon

Mark Lyon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Director
  • Solana Beach, CA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

Ditto from here. I shot 1000' of respooled 7285 on a documentary last year with my a-minima. No problems with noise, but some of the flanges were loose--I'd never run into that with factory Kodak mags, so it took a little while to diagnose.

Good luck--

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineLab